Paris by the Book

by Liam Callanan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1101986298 Global Overview for this book
Registered by booboo123 of Rochester, Michigan USA on 10/28/2020
Journal Entry 1 by booboo123 from Rochester, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Got this book from Paperback Swap. Loved this book, but then again I love anything Paris. Good characters good story.

Journal Entry 2 by booboo123 at Rochester, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Released 3 yrs ago (10/28/2020 UTC) at Rochester, Michigan USA

Sending this book to GoryDetails as part of the USA/Canada wishlist tag game.
Enjoy your travels!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 2, 2020
The wishlist book arrived safely today; many thanks! Nice to do some virtual traveling while the real thing is off the table...

Later: OK, this was not what I was expecting from the general plot-summary and the cover-blurb words like "witty". For me it was a seriously disturbing and often dark story - with, granted, some entertaining subplots regarding favorite French-authored children's books, the stories behind those authors (though those tales too are often dark), and a strong sense of the ups and downs of actually living in Paris as opposed to simply being a visitor there. But the falling apart of the main character's family, the mystery surrounding the disappearance of her husband, and the eventual revelations as to what happened and why (to the degree that we can accept those, given how they're provided)... it was all like a slow-moving nightmare for me (and, at times, for the main character). Even the near-magical upturn in the family fortunes at the end seemed too dreamlike to accept (and is called out by the main character in-story); indeed, dark as it was, I almost preferred the way the book would have ended before the epilogue - but maybe that's just me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, April 10, 2021

Released 3 yrs ago (4/12/2021 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to LaveggioCoffee's Armchair Travels to France bookbox; hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2021 Keep Them Moving challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Received in the My Armchair Travels to France Bookbox.

Decent read. It started off well and then went downhill. I had to skim through the 2nd half in order to finish. Pardon the language, but Robert is a selfish prick.

Journal Entry 6 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Sunday, February 4, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/4/2024 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released in the My Armchair Travels to France Bookbox #2.

Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Friday, February 16, 2024
selected from the Armchair Travels to France bookbox.