Coastliners

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 9/27/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2020
A small island off the French coast, split by ancient rivalries. One town a thriving tourist hot spot, one village slowly drowning. After the death of her Mother, Mado returns to visit her father and can't help but meddle in the affairs of the island. Realising that the increasing prospects of the town are having a direct influence on the death of the village, she sets about resetting the balance, providing hope and a new sense of purpose in the villagers. But there are a lot of secrets that come tumbling to the open, even as the sea drains away from the land.

I liked reading this a lot. The sense of place - the smells, tastes, sights and sounds are brilliantly written so you can imagine yourself there. There's a lot of sadness though, a strain of melancholia that I sort of liked, and off course not everything is sorted out by the close of the novel.

On the negative side, I did get a bit confused between characters - there's a lot of them, some small part players, that it's hard to get straight, but it didn't make me lose the plot line, so wasn't worried too much :)

Recommended reading.

Released 3 yrs ago (11/3/2020 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy your wishlist book

Journal Entry 3 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, November 9, 2020
Wow! What a surprise! A Wishlist all the way from Great Britain! Thank you, Caroline, for the book and also the BC supplies!

Journal Entry 4 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. Too many characters to keep track of and care about! I do love this author's writing...her descriptions are beautiful. Overall, I'm glad I read this. It's been sitting on my TBR shelf too long. Will try to find someone to pass it along to.

Journal Entry 5 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2024