Bellwether

by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0307571947 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 5/4/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, May 4, 2020
Well I’m sure this is a nine or a 10, I haven’t read it so I can’t rate it😉
And well I’d like to read it, it won’t be this copy as I bought it on better world books to send as a birthday surprise to Fifna~~
Happy belated birthday!!! ��🧁����
I hope you enjoy 😊

Journal Entry 2 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 24, 2020
Thank you very much erishkigal for this birthday wishlist book - really looking forward to it as I've loved several of her books!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 26, 2023
This was a great read! This was the first non-time travel-related book by Connie Willis that I've read and she does this pretty well too. Enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
This is going to be my pick for the 2024 Favourite Book Roundabout.

Shipping order:
earthcaroleanne
greenbadger
estelle1806
grovalskii

No need to send it back to me at the end of the roundabout.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFifnawing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Friday, January 5, 2024

Released 6 mos ago (1/5/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

On its way to Andrasthe. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 6 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Friday, January 12, 2024
This is the first book I have read by this author. It was light and entertaining with a easy to follow plot. The characters weren't awfully deep, but thoroughly entertaining. Flip jumped out from the pages and threw me her annoyed look more than once. I got serious Gina Linetti vibes from her at times, another character I dearly enjoy :)

This was a quick first read for this year's roundabout. Thank you for providing some much needed chuckles!

Journal Entry 7 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Released 6 mos ago (1/18/2024 UTC) at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria

Safe travels :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Arrived today. I'm on unknown territory here but it's the goal of the roundabout isn't it ?

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
A great read for me too. I had great fun and I learnt facts too. No SF or Fantasy here. Published mid-nineties it sort of stands between two eras. Thank you for your choice Fifna.

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, February 12, 2024

Released 5 mos ago (2/12/2024 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

In the hands of La Poste to be delivered to mathgirl40 in Ontario.

Journal Entry 11 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 22, 2024
This book has arrived in Canada. I've loved several of Connie Willis's books and this is one that I've not read yet, so I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 12 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 17, 2024
This was definitely a fun book. I've always enjoyed Connie Willis's novels and short stories. I really liked learning about the various fads over the centuries. Thanks, Fifna, for adding this book to the roundabout!

Journal Entry 13 by mathgirl40 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 17, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (3/17/2024 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is now on its way to djf1968.

Journal Entry 14 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Monday, April 1, 2024
Fifna's favorite book of 2023 has arrived in California. I've got a couple of books ahead of it in my queue...I'll read it and get it back on the road as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 15 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Thursday, April 11, 2024
Dr. Sandra Foster studies fads–how they start and what they mean. She’s on a quest to identify the origin of ‘the bob.’ Dr. Bennett O’Reiley is a chaos theorist studying animal group behavior. They’re thrown together when HiTek Corporation’s Workplace Message Facilitation Director misdirects a package, and they spend the remaining 200-some pages navigating simplified project funding request forms, dodging company meetings ending in “sensitivity exercises” and trying to herd sheep. I drew several parallels between life at HiTek and my early forays into corporate life in the mid to late 90s, AND I learned a little about lots of different fads. In the end, it was a fun little read! Thank you for sending it on Fifna.

My favorite quotes:

"I may not be as well versed as Gina is in Meeting Survival, but I do know enough not to raise my hand. All it does is get you put on a committee."

" 'My physics teacher used to say Diogenes shouldn't have wasted time looking for an honest man,' Shirl said, 'he should have been looking for somebody who thought for himself.' "

"Tattooing has the disadvantage of being a passing fad with permanent results."

Journal Entry 16 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2024
This book has arrived in Seattle, WA, USA!

Journal Entry 17 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, April 25, 2024
A fun to read novella that made me nostalgic about the 1990s — grunge, the peak of Seattle culture, the Gen X attitude in the form of Flip. Nothing about Susan Foster or her new friend Bennett are chic or cool, but that’s what I love about them. I loved the camaraderie of these two researchers and staff, reminded me a bit of the the Office TV show with clueless corporate leaders.
One of my favorite things about Susan is she borrows older books from the public library so they won’t get purged – the library has a protocol to expunge these books from the system if they haven’t been borrowed in the past year.
A fun side note: a friend of mine was able to get a first edition of the Origin of the Species book for exactly this reason. A small town library expunged their first edition copy when they converted to an electronic database. No one recognized the value of this not often borrowed copy of a classic ….

Journal Entry 18 by wing39301wing at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 25, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (4/25/2024 UTC) at Seattle, WA, USA, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Handing this off to @echode when she gets back from her BC convention related travels!
Also released as part of the 2024 Books About Books Challenge!

Journal Entry 19 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 7, 2024
Received from 39301. It should move fairly quickly as I'd cheated and started the audio version during my travels (so as not to slow the roundabout 🙏��)

Journal Entry 20 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, May 8, 2024
What a singular book! This was my first reading from this prolific writer, and I will be seeking my own copy. Less Sci-Fi and more sociological rom-com, I enjoyed learning about the different, and often times unpredictable, fads throughout human history. Fun characters, and unique setup to explore us sheeple. Baa...

Released 2 mos ago (5/11/2024 UTC) at Favourite Book Roundabout, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next reader, valpete!

Journal Entry 22 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, May 21, 2024
Too much scientific data spoiled this book for me. I did laugh out loud once or twice...the characters were life-like, particularly Flip, the mail room clerk (Interdepartmental Communications Liaison).

Journal Entry 23 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (5/29/2024 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 24 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 7, 2024
Arrived here. Thank you for sending it all this way Valpete.

Journal Entry 25 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 29, 2024
This was a surprisingly speedy read, with no apparent Sci Fi element. Thank you for introducing me to Connie Willis and her easy wit. Will be travelling on Monday.

Released 3 wks ago (7/1/2024 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Travelling on in the Favourite for 2023 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 27 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 6, 2024
Received… thank you.