The Wright Brothers

by David McCullough | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 4/30/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, April 30, 2020
Two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize David McCullough tells the dramatic story-behind-the-story about the courageous brothers who taught the world how to fly: Wilbur and Orville Wright.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, May 3, 2020
Excellent biography of the brothers who brought manned flight to the world. I know McCullough is renowned for his historical works of nonfiction and that he received the Pulitzer prize for his biographies of both Truman and John Adams. I have a few of his other works on my shelf that I really should get to. Anyway this biography of the Wright Brothers really brought them to life. Of course, every school child in America knows that they invented the airplane but the details of how they did it were pretty much unknown to me. The brothers spent years studying the flight of birds and then went on to perfect their own gliders which they did at the wind-swept sand dunes of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, where they concluded that it was there where the winds were most favorable and the sand provided a soft place to land. The bothers were mechanical geniuses who were able to perfect flying with a lot of hard work, experimentation, and trial and error. Eventually, they did fly using a motorized craft on December 17, 1903, at Kitty Hawk. This event was only witnessed by a few and a photo was taken of the flight by a man who had never taken a photo before.

The brothers went on to perfect their aeroplane but had a hard time getting the U.S. government to buy into it. This led them to Europe where France and Germany became interested. I was unaware that the brothers spent so much time there demonstrating flight to vast crowds and much interest. Finally, the U.S. came around after several successful flights near Washington.

The book also provided a lot of details about the Wright family. I didn't realize that there were also two older Wright brothers who were out of the house at the time of Wilbur and Orville's experiments in flying. They also had a sister, Katharine, who supported them in their quest throughout and even traveled to Europe with them.

I highly enjoyed this biography which really gives insight into the lives of the famous brothers. Hopefully, I'll get to some of McCullough's other works sometime soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 3, 2020

Released 4 yrs ago (5/3/2020 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist tag going to ReallyBookish in PA. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by ReallyBookish at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2020
Received safely today. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by ReallyBookish at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, June 27, 2021
This is an excellent work of historical / biographical nonfiction that held my interest throughout. McCullough's style is highly readable and he gives sufficient detail without ever going too far astray from his core subject or overwhelming the reader with too much information. After reading this, I would like to read more of his work. Recommended!

Released 2 yrs ago (6/28/2021 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to maggiesma as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Saturday, July 3, 2021
Received this book yesterday. Thanks for the wishlist tag ReallyBookish.

Journal Entry 8 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Thursday, April 18, 2024
Detailed biography about the Wright brothers and their lives.

Released 3 wks ago (4/22/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library (See Journal Entry) in Vancouver, Washington USA

7525 Carolina Lane