Slipless in Settle

by Harry Pearson | Sports |
Registered by wingimeretoowing of Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on 5/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingimeretoowing from Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 26, 2019
Slipless in Settle is a sentimental journey around club cricket in the north of England, a world far removed from the clichéd lengthening-shadows-on-the-village-green image of the summer game. This is hardcore cricket played in former pit villages and mill towns. Winner of the 2011 MCC Cricket Book of the Year, it is about the little clubs that have, down the years, produced some of the greatest players Britain has ever seen, and at one time spent a fortune on importing the biggest names in the international game to boost their battle for local supremacy.

Slipless in Settle is a warm, affectionate and outrageously funny sporting odyssey in which Andrew Flintoff and Learie Constantine rub shoulders with Asbo-tag-wearing all-rounders, there's hot-pot pie and mushy peas at the tea bar, two types of mild in the clubhouse, and a batsman is banned for a month for wearing a fireman's helmet when going out to face Joel Garner . . .

Released 5 yrs ago (5/28/2019 UTC) at The Forge Cafe at The Wakes in Oakengates, Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom

Welcome to BookCrossing.
Thanks for taking the time to visit the site.

If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by imeretoo.

Please enjoy this book, if it is not your genre pass it along to someone else or wild release it. In this way we promote literacy and at the same time we can watch our book continue on its journey

I have left this book on a shelf in the Bookcrossing area at The Forge Urban Revival Cafe, at The Wakes, Theatre Square, Oakengates, Telford TF2 6EP.
Stop by, pick up a book or 2 and maybe stay awhile to enjoy a good coffee snack or a meal....
Its up to you.
Happy Hunting...

Released 4 yrs ago (7/14/2019 UTC) at Telford Central Railway Station in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

Re-Located:
I have left this book on the Book Crossing shelf in the ticket office at Telford Central Railway Station.
If travelling and your train is delayed? Stop by and pick up a free book....
If travelling with children????
Stop by and pick up a free book....
A great way to keep BOTH Adults & Kids of all ages distracted and entertained....
If travelling and your train is delayed? Stop by and pick up a free book....
If travelling with children????
Stop by and pick up a free book....

Journal Entry 4 by nordie at By Hand in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (9/4/2019 UTC) at By Hand in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

Welcome to BookCrossing. Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book, you may do this anonymously or you may join. There is no charge to join this site, if you are like myself from time to time you may donate to help support Bookcrossing; but it is not mandatory. If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by Nordie. Membership is free and your name and e-mail address is not shared with anyone else and it will never be sold. BookCrossing is a world-wide group of people who love books and wish to share them with others.

Released 4 yrs ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at St Luke's Community Centre, Duston in Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 6 by beeofgoodcheer at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 13, 2019
Picked up at the Unconvention. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by beeofgoodcheer at Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2022
Sorting through my groaning bookcases, I came across this travelling book having something of a snooze - although it may well have travelled in a house move - or two!

My plan for 2023 is to read as many Bookcrossing books as possible, and to get them moving again for others to enjoy too, so this hopefully will not be the last you hear from this book!

Journal Entry 8 by Niksoki at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2023

Released 9 mos ago (9/9/2023 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taken to our monthly meet. If not claimed will be left on the shelves.

Journal Entry 9 by IpswichIzzy at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2023
Picked up at the meeting, to see if my Mum fancies reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by IpswichIzzy at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
I gave this to my Mum, who enjoyed 'dipping' into it, but decided against reading it all.
Mum passed it on to a friend, who read and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 11 by IpswichIzzy at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 11, 2023

Released 7 mos ago (11/12/2023 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Local BookCrossers meet, from noon on the second Saturday of every month, at Coffee Link, on Neptune Quay. Why not come along and join us? We're easy to spot - we're the people sitting round a table covered in books!