Kitchen Confidential

by Anthony Bourdain | Cooking, Food & Wine | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 158234082x Global Overview for this book
Registered by CanticleLost of Clearwater, Florida USA on 3/4/2019
Journal Entry 1 by CanticleLost from Clearwater, Florida USA on Monday, March 4, 2019
I always enjoyed his sense of humor and outlook on life. An interesting man.

Placed in the Alphabet VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by CanticleLost at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, August 3, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (8/3/2019 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Off to Switzerland and penelopewanders!
Messaged w/ tracking info.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, August 17, 2019
This book, selected from the International ABC VBB, has arrived safely in Switzerland. Just before it was my turn to choose, I read Baker's Blues by Judith Ryan Hendricks, in which this book is mentioned, so I was curious to read it.
It arrived with some lovely stickers and a label, so thanks for sending the book and for these as well!

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, March 14, 2021
I selected this from the bookcrossing Alphabet VBB, and discovered someone of whom I had never heard or seen the TV shows, and who has, in the meantime, ostensibly committed suicide. So with that knowledge in the back of my mind, it was a curious journey to read this vibrant and spirited memoir.
In the book Bourdain is admirably honest about his foibles and idiosyncrasies... I'm not sure I would have appreciated him much as a person in his younger years - he would have basically been a peer and I suspect I would have had little patience for the pranks and pirate mentality. Kitchens, especially at that time, I gather have been notoriously sexist places, and he does address this, but with, from what I could tell, only one or two women on his staff, there was a smidge of the lady protesting too much. I was intrigued and impressed to read in this book that his wife Nancy seems to have stuck with him through thick and thin, although reading more about his life after the book, it seems that did come to an end.
I enjoyed his reflections on and memories of times in France and how his love of food was born. I watched a few snippets of his television programs and I think I would have enjoyed watching more, as I appreciate his willingness to seek out the "real" cuisine of the places he visited.
Either he was overly critical of himself in his early years, and painted an excessively unflattering picture of himself, or he did mature and grow to be a fascinating and pretty admirable person. Too bad I was never able - for a multitude of reasons, both geographical and financial - to eat in Les Halles. And I am very sad about the mussels which I now will be leery of ordering in a restaurant!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, April 12, 2021
This now goes into the Alphabet VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Friday, May 28, 2021

Released 3 yrs ago (5/27/2021 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

Selected from the Alphabet VBB, this heads off to China! Happy trails and bon appetit!

Journal Entry 7 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Tuesday, June 15, 2021
Got it, thanks! Looking forward to reading it!