The Handmaid's Tale

Enjoy your birthday books
by Margaret Atwood | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 10/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, October 28, 2018
"The Republic of Gilead allows Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like all dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire; neither Offred's nor that of the two men on whom her future hangs..."

Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award for Science Fiction and Shortlisted for the Booker Prize.

I have recently re-read this novel, and was delighted to find it in a Birthday Group's WishList. You are in for a treat...

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, November 10, 2018

Released 5 yrs ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent as a belated present to a Birthday Group member who has it in her WishList.
Happy belated birthday, and enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Sunday, December 9, 2018
Thank you so so much for your kindness Bookworm-lady. The package arrived a week ago, just realized I forgot to journal it after opening. Added the book to my wishlist after watching the series on HBO, it was quite a story I definitely want to read too. I've been checking it from my local library overtime I go there, but it's always on loan.

Thank you also for the tea and the chocolate. :)

Journal Entry 4 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Saturday, March 2, 2019
I Loved it! It was quite a story, that made me think about life, choices and freedom we have, all the work that's been done for and by women to have they're own will and how it could be destroyed quite easily. And the fact that quite many women in this world still battle with similar problems like limited freedom, not being able to do everything they want. It's unbelievable how horrible things can be done in the name of religion. I also love the ending, as it was left quite open, but also gave hope.

Thank you for the opportunity to read this classic! One more classic not to fear.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLiskoMiettinenwing at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Monday, July 22, 2019
This sounds really interesting. I look forward to read this.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLiskoMiettinenwing at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Friday, March 27, 2020
I liked this so much. I haven't watch the HBO series from this. Maybe I wait until it comes from regular television like "Desperate Housewives" that I watch recently. I think that I would like that television serie also because the book itself was so fantastic.

I have also started to read "The Robber Bride" from the author, but it is not so good than this book I think.

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Convention release.

Journal Entry 8 by wingLotty_wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
I've taken this one from the Bookcrossing Convention in Tampere.