How to Make an American Quilt

by Whitney Otto | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPoodlesisterwing of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPoodlesisterwing from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 11, 2018
Bought in Crest charity shop, Walthamstow High Street.

Released 5 yrs ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Travelling with a book ring book. A wishlist book.

Hello!
Happy Bookcrossing!

Join UK Bookcrossers in Ipswich from 5-7th October 2018 http://2018.bcukunconvention.co.uk/

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Thank you so much for kindly sending this with the book ring book. The parcel made my day. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 8, 2018
This very different from other books I've read about women quilting together. I think it is because the book doesn't really talk about the times they quilt together as a group, so you don't really see them interacting with each other. Their stories are really very separate, with the occasional overlap, mainly between those who are related. I felt unsure at times why they continued to come together as a group, as you didn't really get a sense of much affection between them.
I'd love to know what other readers think about this one. Thanks for sending it to me Poodlesister. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 5 yrs ago (9/16/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Set free at the Old Gang meet up. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 17, 2018
Picked up at the meetup after a recommendation from Bookfrogster. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 30, 2020
I find that my mood is often altered by the books I'm reading at the time, and hence sometimes if I'm feeling generally anxious or stressed, it's best to be careful about what novels get picked up from the shelf. Having struggled to read a brilliant, but disorienting book over this rather strange Christmas, I decided to go for something more homely straight after it.

How to Make an American Quilt isn't my usual read - it's too folksy. But delving into it when my head was feeling fried and all over the place (work, coronavirus, Brexit, etc) was wonderfully comforting - like a soothing balm. I read the whole thing over the course of a day and felt much better for it.

I agree with bookfrogster that there didn't seem much affection within the group, and it would have been nice to see more interaction between them. But I suppose that wasn't really what the novel was trying to do. The story wasn't about a cohesive group - it was about a group of women whose individual circumstances had led them to seek out each other's company - even if/when they didn't really get along that well. It was sad in many places (especially Sophia's story) but affirmed the ability of women throughout history to make the most of what life had given them. Life goes on even throughout troubled times, and happiness has to be grabbed where it can be. I guess that's what I needed to read about yesterday.

Journal Entry 8 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2021

Released 3 yrs ago (4/15/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent as a wishlist rabck to another bookcrosser

Journal Entry 9 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2021
This was kindly sent to me by LittleSuz as a RABCK as it's been on my wishlist forever. I saw the film many years ago but only remember Wynona Ryder was in it so I don't think I'll remember any plot to spoil the story. Looking forward to reading this as as a quilter and someone who's quilted with virtual sewing bee's it'll be nice to read this - in fact I've just finished my current read and will start this next!

Journal Entry 10 by isisjem at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 4, 2022
I didn't realise I hadn't done a JE about this! I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I had vague recollections of it from the film and it was probably seeing the film that made me want to put it on my wishlist in the first place. I found it seemed quite disjointed and I couldn't really care enough about the characters. I'm sure in the book the actual quilting sessions were what linked the characters and stopped it feeling disjointed but this doesn't come across in the book.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/3/2022 UTC) at Bus Shelter near telephone box in Holton, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Taken along to the village "Bring and Take"