Silence: Film tie-in

by Shusaku Endo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by soffitta1 of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 3/11/2017
Journal Entry 1 by soffitta1 from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, March 11, 2017
1001 book, now made into a film.

I have quite mixed feelings on the book. As an atheist, but one brought up with Christian traditions, I have left aside a number of the more overtly religious books, but that does not mean I discount them out of hand (I recently read and enjoyed [Ben Hur]).

The book intrigued me, I remember studying a little bit of this topic as an aside to the Portuguese voyages of discovery, but the narrative made connection more human. At the time Japan was a country closing itself off from the influences of the outside world and the Jesuit priests and their converts were heavily penalised for their foreign faith. Father Rodrigues goes to Japan to find out what really happened to Ferreira, his mentor and apostate. Rodrigues is on a journey, treacherous in the political climate and also eye-opening as he sees first-hand how Christianity has evolved in a new land. The torture of the priests and the converts is brutal and heinously creative, but it is also psychological as they are forced to renounce their god and trample on an image of Christ. For the priests they are given the choice of renouncement or the Christians they are with will be killed. In this situation, there is certainly room for introspection, a time for questioning faith, with the victims becoming ever more tired and isolated.

The style is good, I found it page-turning and thought provoking. The characters were human, rather than stylised saints in waiting. It is also easy to judge episodes in history, but not always easy to remember they were different times. I oscillated between anger at people being tortured for their faith and also understanding the fear of another faith coming in and taking over an indigenous one.

Released 1 mo ago (5/30/2024 UTC) at Telephone Box Book Exchange ☎️ in Little Oakley, Essex United Kingdom

In the phonebox