The Patterson Girls

by Rachael Johns | Women's Fiction |
Registered by sally906 of Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on 9/12/2015
Journal Entry 1 by sally906 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, September 12, 2015
It is the first Christmas since their mother died so Lucinda, Madeline, Abigail and Charlie all come home from various parts of the world and Australia to support their dad through the season and help out in the family motel at its busiest time. The reader soon learns that although the sisters all keep in touch with each, they have also each kept secrets from their siblings. These secrets are gradually revealed to each other as the story progresses; however the reader is privy to them from the start. I love it when I know a secret and hug it to myself gleefully which added to my enjoyment of the story; if more enjoyment was possible.

One aspect is not revealed to the readers though – the Patterson’s curse. Oh we are told what the curse is but is it real? And if it is, can it be removed? If the curse is real, then it has serious impact on the lives of all four women. As each sister takes it in turn to tell their personal story as well as the story of what is happening back at the family motel they start to look at their lives, their loves, and their struggles and start to question whether their current life, and loves, are what they really want.

The Patterson sisters are real, they just leap out of the pages at you, and each character has her own strengths, weaknesses and quirks. They are a real family unit of siblings, they fight each other, the laugh with each other and they cry together, then they fight some more. I could relate to all of them at one level or another, which really helped draw me into the story. The emotions are described incredibly – the laughter, the joy and even the despair. These sisters are not characters on the pages of a book – they live and breathe. THE PATTERSON GIRLS is one of Rachel John’s best books ever, and I know I keep writing that, but she is just going from strength to strength and always seems to press the right emotional buttons for me. And by emotional I mean yes I laughed, and yes I cried. There are some clever twists and turns, and each sister has a barrier to break down before they can find the happiness that has eluded them. The men in their lives are all very gorgeous as well – as are the support characters, Dad Sal and their crazy Aunt. Every facet of the story is well thought out and connects beautifully, not one unnecessary thread anywhere in the story.

I have been following Rachel Johns on Facebook as she wrote this book so the anticipation has been great – and she managed to feed out little hints of what might be in the book, idea’s and ‘what about this’ scenarios. She also keeps her fans in touch with the creative processes of character building of not just this book but all her current works by posting pictures of yummy men to see if her followers like them. Sometimes asking us all if we like our men with tattoos, with a shirt or without a shirt. Of course we are always willing to help her out with this!

Journal Entry 2 by sally906 at Sandy's Cafe in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, September 12, 2015

Released 8 yrs ago (9/12/2015 UTC) at Sandy's Cafe in Casuarina, Northern Territory Australia

Taking to meet-up - if no one wants it will leave on Bench near cafe

Journal Entry 3 by amberC at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, September 14, 2015
Picked up at the meet-up.

Journal Entry 4 by amberC at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, April 7, 2019
A tale of loss, togetherness, miscommunication, secrets and abundant joy - in short, family.

Journal Entry 5 by amberC at Waterfront in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, July 6, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (7/7/2019 UTC) at Waterfront in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

Taking to the meet-up at Fiddlers Green

Journal Entry 6 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, December 26, 2019
Another fantastic book by Rachael Johns. I really enjoyed reading this!! Lucky I was holidays as I found it hard to put down.

Journal Entry 7 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (1/18/2022 UTC) at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

gave to a friend to read