The Book Eaters

Read me and Pass me on !
by Sunyi Dean | Horror |
Registered by wingcestmoiwing of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 8/19/2023
Journal Entry 1 by wingcestmoiwing from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 19, 2023
From amazon.com:

Out on the Yorkshire Moors lives a secret line of people for whom books are food, and who retain all of a book's content after eating it. To them, spy novels are a peppery snack; romance novels are sweet and delicious. Eating a map can help them remember destinations, and children, when they misbehave, are forced to eat dry, musty pages from dictionaries.

Devon is part of The Family, an old and reclusive clan of book eaters. Her brothers grow up feasting on stories of valor and adventure, and Devon―like all other book eater women―is raised on a carefully curated diet of fairy tales and cautionary stories.

But real life doesn't always come with happy endings, as Devon learns when her son is born with a rare and darker kind of hunger―not for books, but for human minds.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 21, 2023
A wonderful mix of sci-fi, fantasy and fairy tale. Although it seems like a fantastical tale, the author weaves in many serious themes; slavery, feminism, patriarchy, bigotry, sexism and ageism to name a few. The people are divided into groups called "the Families" - old families that hide in plain site in old mansions. They funciton outside of human society.

Devon is a bookeater. Bookeaters live in secret, in the human world and consume books instead of plants and animals as nourishment. For every book they eat, they absorb the knowledge contained in it and it becomes part of them. Women are scarce in the bookeater world and are revered and treated like princesses so that when they become child bearing age, they can be married off twice and have children. Girl children are preferred because of the shortage of females. The women are not allowed to keep their children, once they are weaned they are whisked away and never seen by their mothers again.

Occasionally, a different baby is born - a mindeater. Mindeaters are born of bookeaters, but they eat minds instead. They slurp minds and retain that person's personality, history and knowledge. They need to feed constantly to keep off the insatiable hunger.

Devon has given birth to two children and decides she is going to change things. She is not going to let her son grow up and be controlled by the "Family".
This is not the kind of book I normally read, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'll be sending it off to GoryDetails as a RABCK at the end of the week.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcestmoiwing at By mail / post / courier, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Released 6 mos ago (8/23/2023 UTC) at By mail / post / courier, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This is going to GoryDetails as a RABCK. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 28, 2023
The books arrived safely today; thanks so much!

Later: I'm not sure what I expected from this novel, but it wasn't what I got. This is so much darker than I'd anticipated, with its overwhelming themes of a not-quite-human race that lives among humans, keeps its vanishingly-rare women as, effectively, captive brood-mares, and sometimes produces offspring who eat - not the books that most of their kind absorb - but actual human minds. (The opening passages are harrowing, with descriptions of protagonist Devon, one of the rare book-eater women, and her mind-eater son Cai - who's on the verge of starvation most of the time, as Devon struggles to give him the sustenance he needs when she knows what it does to his victims. {shudder!})

There are lighter moments here and there - including one in the middle of a bleak aftermath of battle, in which Devon frets that she'd never eaten a first-aid manual and thus doesn't know what to do about a wound - but overall it's a really dark tale. The nature of the book-eaters and mind-eaters isn't something they can change, and while Devon might be able to escape the worst of her societal confines, her son still needs to consume minds to live - and her daughter is still in the hands of the Book-Eaters...

Released 1 mo ago (1/1/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Deering Reservoir in Deering, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the 2023 D for December challenge. **

** Released for the 2023 Keep Them Moving challenge. **

Journal Entry 6 by Swazieb at Deering, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 2, 2024
Pretty good & dark story.

Journal Entry 7 by Swazieb at Little Free Library, Deering Town Hall in Deering, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 12, 2024

Released 1 wk ago (2/12/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Deering Town Hall in Deering, New Hampshire USA

Enjoy.