Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time

Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/16/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, December 16, 2014
349 pages

Product Description
‘Here we drink three cups of tea to do business; the first you are a stranger, the second you become a friend, and the third, you join our family, and for our family we are prepared to do anything – even die.’ Haji Ali, Korphe Village Chief, Karakoram mountains, Pakistan In 1993, after a terrifying and disastrous attempt to climb K2, a mountaineer called Greg Mortenson drifted, cold and dehydrated, into an impoverished Pakistan village in the Karakoram Mountains. Moved by the inhabitants’ kindness, he promised to return and build a school. Three Cups of Tea is the story of that promise and its extraordinary outcome. Over the next decade Mortenson built not just one but fifty-five schools – especially for girls – in remote villages across the forbidding and breathtaking landscape of Pakistan and Afghanistan, just as the Taliban rose to power. His story is at once a riveting adventure and a testament to the power of the humanitarian spirit.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 16, 2015

Released 9 yrs ago (1/16/2015 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I read this book some two years ago. This is an interesting story.
I took the book to the meet-up at Sokos in Helsinki. I did not bring it back.
Happy reading!

Tämä on 10. kirjani haasteessa Vapautusten vuosi 2015 http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/30/515246/8408406

Journal Entry 3 by wingtoukokuuwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 17, 2015
I brought the book home with me. Thanks for the book and the meeting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingtoukokuuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Released 8 yrs ago (4/12/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Saarahoo was interested in this book (käänteinen toivelistahippa) and will get it tonight. I loved the story of a true American hero Greg Mortenson who fights the root causes of terrorism by building schools first in Pakistan and then in Afganistan to educate the girls in the region.

"I request America to look into our hearts and see that the great majority of us are not terrorists, but good and simple people." This is an quote from a speech of one Pakistani Muslim leader right after 9/11.

"While most of us are trying to scale new peaks, Greg has quietly been moving even greater mountains on his own." Another quote from a respected alpinist promoting Greg.

Journal Entry 5 by wingsaarahoowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Thank you for the book, Toukokuu!

Journal Entry 6 by wingsaarahoowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 16, 2024
This book has been sitting on the shelf for far too long. Mainly because I expected it (wrongly) to be about some depressing story about girls trying to go to school in Afghanistan. It wasn't, it was actually quite a positive story about building schools in rural Pakistan.

After reading the book I did google Greg Mortenson, of whom the book is about, and unfortunately some serious accusations have been made of mismanagement of funds and the book giving a far too rosy picture of the achievents of Gregs work. Hopefully, if true, those are more down to lack of experience than actual fraud. I like to think there are people out there who are genuinly trying to do good.

Journal Entry 7 by wingsaarahoowing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

In the book buffet

Journal Entry 8 by wingdacejavwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
I read this book in the summer of 2014 and it made me cry and made me laugh. I really enjoyed learning more about one if the most remote places in the world and one ignorant man's struggle to make a difference. I also learnt about the accusations much later and they also shone a bad light on the accuser - the famous Jon Krakauer - for me. I've put one of his books on my wish list as a challenge to myself.

Released 4 wks ago (4/21/2024 UTC) at Hotel Scandic Tampere Hämeenpuisto in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Leaving it on the bookshelves in the cafeteria area.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing
dacejav (or any of the other journalers) as referring you.

I hope you enjoy the book!