A Choice of Kipling's Verse

Registered by salinger007 of Spartanburg, South Carolina USA on 1/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by salinger007 from Spartanburg, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
I like this book because of the introdustion by TS Eliot. He has a unique view of Kiplings work that is similar to the view I've always had toward Kiplings work. Kipling himself would call his works ,Verses, not poems. They do not follow the rules of poetry by any means. I have always felt that Kipling wrote for the appreciation of men and not women. There is nothing wrong with that, its just not my cup of tea. The book contains a great sampling of Kiplings verses.

Journal Entry 2 by salinger007 from Spartanburg, South Carolina USA on Friday, January 23, 2004
RABCK'd to TOM-M

Journal Entry 3 by tom-m from Ulaan Baatar, Ulaan Baatar Mongolia on Monday, February 2, 2004
Just arrived this afternoon.

I plan to take my time with this. Poetry doesn't work in big gulps! But when I am done, I'll RABCK it to someone else. Passing along the favor in the high standard of BookCrossing!

Thanks, salinger007!

Journal Entry 4 by tom-m from Ulaan Baatar, Ulaan Baatar Mongolia on Friday, May 7, 2004
I was amazed at how much of this book I already knew. Short phrases and lines and even complete poems. Some of the most famous poems in English were written by Kipling. "If", "Gunga Din", "East is East and West is West" (and never the twain shall meet!) I took a fragment of a long narrative poem ("McAndrew's Hymm") as my email sig: "an ijjit grinnin' in a dream". There are little gems like that throughout this grand collection.

The language was difficult at times. Kipling uses the sound of speech more often than regular spelling to convey his meaning. He uses army and nautical slang many times. If you take the time to get past this device you will find much richness in the poetry.

It helps to know something to british history to follow some of the poems. There are references to the English civil war, the war againt the Dutch in the mid 1600s, the Boer war in South Africa, to name but a few instances. Kipling is firmly rooted in his native land and her vast empire. Many places in the news of today are mentioned in his poetry.

There is a long essay about Kipling by T.S. Eliot, who selected the verse in this collection.

I got this book as a RABCK and will pass it along the same way.

Journal Entry 5 by tom-m at Browns Mills Post Office in Browns Mills, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Released on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at Browns Mills Post Office in Browns Mills, New Jersey USA.

mailed to MarriedMcGinnis as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by HorseDancer from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, May 17, 2004
from tom-m from Browns Mills, New Jersey ! Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by HorseDancer from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, May 18, 2004
This book has some nice poetry in it.

Journal Entry 8 by HorseDancer from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, May 19, 2004
This is a selection of more than a hundred poems written by T.S. Eliot. The poems underline the diversity of Kipling's Verse. There are ballards, dramatic monologues, occasional verses of very high order, epigrams, hymns, and the experimental poems of Kipling's later period. This book will give readers an apperciation of Eliots careful and penetrating selection.

Released 18 yrs ago (8/18/2005 UTC) at Freecycle in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA