The Ig Nobel Prizes: The Annals of Improbable Research

by Marc Abrahams | Science |
Registered by wingglade1wing of McLeansville, North Carolina USA on 2/2/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingglade1wing from McLeansville, North Carolina USA on Sunday, February 2, 2014
Bought at the used book store today. From the flap:

A side-splitting compendium that pays tribute to those individuals whose achievements cannot or should not be reproduced.

Everyone knows about the Nobel Prizes, those prestigious awards that recognize the world's most talented and innovative minds. Unfortunately, not all of the hopeful thinkers and academics around the globe can become Nobel Laureates, but some are lucky enough to win the esteemed Ig Nobel Prize instead. Their unbelievable accomplishments are now documented in glorious detail in The Ig Nobel Prizes: The Annals of Improbable Research.

Drawn from the world's wackiest actual achievements in science, economics, and peace, The Ig Nobel Prizes demonstrates the extreme measures people will take in the quest for knowledge. Read about the professor who proved that toast falls buttered-side-down more often than not, and the Southern Baptist Church of Alabama, which devised a formula to determine how many Alabamans will go to Hell.

This hilarious book features these endeavors and many more, along with photographs from the annual Ig Nobel Prize Ceremonies at Harvard University. An entertaining exhibition of brains and determination, The Ig Nobel Prizes is ideal for anyone who first wants to laugh and then wants to think.

ETA 3-27-14: Promised to cestmoi in the Wish List Tag game.

Journal Entry 2 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, April 7, 2014
Fascinating collection of unusual research. It bothers me a little that the winners can be either examples of genuine, accurate, replicable research or just loony stuff. For example, the winners who researched how to whet the appetite of leeches had a real medical reason for doing this and likely the results could be duplicated, but the woman who believes she can subsist on energy from light alone is cuckoo. I better enjoyed the examples that were actual research that just happened to be unusual. (The criteria given for inclusion in the awards include "achievements that cannot or should not be reproduced," but I don't think they strictly follow this guideline, since I think some of the inventions, research, etc., could be reproduced without too much effort or risk.)

I love the whole idea of the Ig Nobel Prizes and especially appreciate all the people who have embraced the spirit of the awards ceremony, winners and spectators alike. It's neat that actual Nobel Laureates jump right in to the festivities too.

I'm going to check out the Annals of Improbable Research website for more on these fun awards!

I have to wait until payday to mail this to cestmoi...

Journal Entry 3 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Released 9 yrs ago (4/29/2014 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Mailed to cestmoi today as part of the Wish List Tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 13, 2014
This arrived today. Thank you for the tag!

Journal Entry 5 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 17, 2023
This is a funny and sometimes nonsensical look at what kind of science (I use that word lightly!) was nonsensical enough to earn an IgNobel Prize.

My son borrowed this after I first read it and I only just got it back!! I am reserving it for LFLHunter.

Released 8 mos ago (8/12/2023 UTC) at -- Controlled Releases, by hand or mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Passing along to LFLHunter. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Thank you for granting me this wish. I watched a documentary on the Ig Nobel Prices and heard one of the winners on CBC radio. Look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 8 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 21, 2023
During COVID lock downs I read about the IG Nobel Prizes I also watched some of the Improbable Research Videos on YouTube.

A wonderful selection of "science" that makes you laugh. From creating Stalan's World, banning the beaker, calculating risks of falling coconuts, Sociology of Canadian donuts shops, or improving the appetite of leaches.

The science that makes you laugh then think. In this case make make my family chuckle, this book may cause one to go down interesting rabbit holes.

Journal Entry 9 by LFLHunter at Humble Bean Coffee in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 3, 2024

Released 2 mos ago (2/3/2024 UTC) at Humble Bean Coffee in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Bringing this book to Humble Bean coffee shop/ Bookcrossing meet-up. HUMBLE BEAN DOES NOT WANT BOOKS LEFT ON THEIR BOOK SHELF. Books not taken at the meet-up ip will be left at Little Free Libraries.

If you found this book, please consider making a journal entry, tell us where you found the book, or what you thought of the book after reading it. You can remain anonymous or join Bookcrossing, then you can catch and release your own books. Help make the world a place of traveling books.

Journal Entry 10 by 2peasandadog at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
I picked this up at a Bookcrossing Meet-Up in Burlington, Ontario. It will be released into a Little Free Library.