The White Bone: A Novel

by Barbara Gowdy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 11/4/2013
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, November 5, 2013
The story of Mud, her foster sister and best Friend Date Bed, and her suitor Tall Time. All elephants, the author has envisioned a society and way of thought that works as a novel. Drought has hit the African Plains, the worst in any living memory, and predation by humans has reached a new level. The elephants must find a legendary place where they will be safe.

Well written, good story, and I'm going to be thinking about this one for a while. My sister's always tells me 'good art' may not be something you like, but if it provokes a reaction, and continues to, it is 'good art.' I'm not even sure I liked this book, but I will be thinking of it, and so 'good art.'

Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, January 10, 2014

Released 10 yrs ago (1/10/2014 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Placed in the Wild Thing Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Picked it up from the Wild Things bookbox. A story about elephants. How interesting!

And I seem to have picked up quite a few books from you, quietorchid! Good taste in books, I'd have to say.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, December 20, 2023
I started on it a while back, but I think it's the writing that feels a bit tedious, I couldn't get into it. I set it aside, as part of me do want to read it, but it seems like time has passed long enough and I'm unlikely to return to the story. The Swapping up TBR bookbox comes along and I think it's the perfect place to release this.

Journal Entry 5 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 27, 2023
came home in my Swap Up Mt TBR Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
The White Bone tell the story of a family of elephants traveling to the Safe Place for a better life. Drought and poachers are at an all-time high, which has the family of She-S Elephants on the move, looking for a new home. The author, Barbara Gowdy created a society, a language, and customs for the elephant world in this work of fiction.

I wasn't particularly fond of this book. The storyline is something that will stick with me for quite awhile, as it added a humanistic quality to elephants and I was able to feel the pain and suffering the elephants experienced. However, the tedious writing style made reading the book somewhat laborious.

Journal Entry 7 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Thursday, February 22, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2024 UTC) at Renton, Washington USA

sending this wishlist book to rubyrebel as part of the 2024 US Birthday exchange

Journal Entry 8 by wingrubyrebelwing at Toledo, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 2, 2024
thank you so much for this birthday wishlist book