Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace

by Ayelet Waldman | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by HI77 of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 7/17/2013
Journal Entry 1 by HI77 from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 17, 2013
What's the world coming to

when the womb,
is cause for concern?

Journal Entry 2 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Released 10 yrs ago (7/17/2013 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

Happy Summer Gift Giving of 2013!! :)

My goal this summer is WORLD DOMINATION! :D

Ok, ok. So maybe I'm just trying to take over the whole of society. :)

Alright! Alright! You got me! I'm just kicking a few books around for the summer! Sheesh! Talk about stomping on my cheerios! :P

Hope this book is the start of a great summer of reading!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, August 3, 2013
Thank you so much, HI77 for this book from my wishlist!! A total surprise:-) brought a big smile to my face and I look forward to reading it very much!

By the way, how are things on world domination? ;-P

Journal Entry 4 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, August 4, 2013
Synopsis:
"In our mothers’ day there were good mothers, neglectful mothers, and occasionally great mothers.

Today we have only Bad Mothers.

If you work, you’re neglectful; if you stay home, you’re smothering. If you discipline, you’re buying them a spot on the shrink’s couch; if you let them run wild, they will be into drugs by seventh grade. If you buy organic, you’re spending their college fund; if you don’t, you’re risking all sorts of allergies and illnesses.

Is it any wonder so many women refer to themselves at one time or another as “a bad mother”? Ayelet Waldman says it’s time for women to get over it and get on with it, in a book that is sure to spark the same level of controversy as her now legendary “Modern Love” piece, in which she confessed to loving her husband more than her children.

Covering topics as diverse as the hysteria of competitive parenting (Whose toddler can recite the planets in order from the sun?), the relentless pursuits of the Bad Mother police, balancing the work-family dynamic, and the bane of every mother’s existence (homework, that is), Bad Mother illuminates the anxieties that riddle motherhood today, while providing women with the encouragement they need to give themselves a break."

Journal Entry 5 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, January 28, 2024
Today I pulled this book from my shelf. For many reasons it has not been read till I started just now. I had not expected it to date back to 2013.... Wow, a real oldie!
Will see how I dare while reading. Will get back to leave a review (of sorts).

Released 1 mo ago (2/26/2024 UTC) at Paddy O'Ryan Irish Pub in Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

In the green bookcase outside the side entrance of Paddy's.

Congratulations--you caught a book!

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.