The Earth Hums in B Flat

by Mari Strachan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1847671926 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 6/7/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, June 7, 2013
Book Description
Publication Date: June 19, 2009 | ISBN-10: 1847671926 | ISBN-13: 978-1847671929 | Edition: 1st American
The Earth Hums in B Flat is a story of dark family secrets unraveled by the shrewd insight of twelve-year-old Gwenni Morgan, a child with an irrepressible spirit living in a Welsh village that is reluctantly entering the modern age. From the small bed that she shares with her sister at night she flies up into the starry sky above her village and looks down on the lives of its inhabitants. And when the family that she babysits for is rocked by the sudden, unexplained disappearance of their patriarch, Gwenni is determined to solve the mystery of Ifan Evan’s whereabouts. Turning amateur detective, she is unaware that the trail will lead her closer to home than she ever imagined.
Told with a breathtaking, irresistible blend of freshness and wisdom, the voice that sixty-two-year-old Welsh debut novelist Mari Strachan has created with Gwenni is vibrant, charming, and full of heart. An unforgettable character, Gwenni’s unique way of seeing the world lends her the ability to make the ordinary extraordinary. A magical novel about the trials of youth, familial duty, and understanding, The Earth Hums in B Flat will transport you to another time and place.

Later:
I loved this quirky book, full of colorful characters. It had enough moments of humor to offset the somewhat depressing subject matter. Small villages can hold dark secrets despite everyone knowing (or thinking they know) everyone else’s business. The twelve-year-old narrator, Gwenni, is certainly a bit strange and she did annoy me at the beginning, but I came to really like her. In addition to having a good, kind heart, she has the unusual power of being able to fly in her sleep, and one night sees something that becomes important in solving the mystery of a neighbor’s disappearance.
It’s hard to write more without giving some plot away, so I will stop here. Not a book for everyone, but I really enjoyed it (and I’m usually rather conservative in my literary tastes).

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017

Released 6 yrs ago (5/27/2017 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

Coming to today's meetup. Hope it finds a new reader!

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017
Unclaimed at the meetup so I will find another home for it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Released 6 yrs ago (8/29/2017 UTC) at Arlington, Massachusetts USA

I plan to offer this to Lils74 at our mini meetup with GoryDetails, to fulfill a wish. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 5 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati (incl. Kathmandu Valley) Nepal on Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Eponine38 gave me this book, along with several others and some BC stickers and postcards, when we met up today. As with many books on my wishlist, I can no longer remember what first drew my attention to this book, but I'm glad something did, because it looks wonderful! Thanks again