Q & A

by Vikas Swarup | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 055277250X Global Overview for this book
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 5/29/2013
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Spotted this and could not resist picking it up.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 9, 2014
“I wonder what it feels like to have no desires left because you have satisfied them all, smothered them with money even before they are born. Is an existence without desire very desirable? And is the poverty of desire better than rank poverty itself?”

Like the movie the book tells the story of Ram Mohammed Thomas from abandoned orphan to billion rupee quiz show winner with each chapter giving a vital clue to the correct answer in the show but in many ways the book and movie are very different and that is purely down to their mediums. The movie is more glitzy showing the sometimes squalid life in urban India in glossy colour whereas the book is more gritty but also with more humour and pathos. There is squalor and there is brutality in the novel but you also find yourself smiling along too. The book is in many ways a modern fairy tale based on Cinderella, one minute RMT is dragged from abject poverty to fabulous riches the next he is Prince Charming saving his beloved from an unimaginable life but it is also a series of short stories. OK some of the plot twists are rather far fetched but that does not detract too heavily on the overall feel of the book. Perhaps the biggest strength of the book is RMT himself, he is such a likable character and you constantly find yourself really rooting for him. However,the author's descriptions of India, in particular the section about the Taj Mahal feel so alive and vivid.

This apparently is the author's debut novel and that in itself is quite remarkable INHO. This book was actually renamed Slumdog Millionaire in a clever marketing ploy but don't be fooled by that they are two very different beasts. Read this book for yourself and see for yourself.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Released 10 yrs ago (3/18/2014 UTC) at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Spotted this on a wishlist so decided to move it on. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, March 21, 2014
Thank you so much for sending this wish granting RABCK with Bonus Book and gorgeous little card! Keep and eye on your post box...

Journal Entry 5 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 15, 2018
I really loved this story. It was so full of life - all the good and bad. I think the concept of this story is quite original (I’ve certainly never read anything like it before). The surprises kept on coming right up to the end.

I am not sure if I want to go watch The film or not now. The book was brilliant and from the trailer I saw they have altered the plot quite a bit.

Journal Entry 6 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, June 4, 2018

Released 5 yrs ago (6/4/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

This book is off the visit another BookCrosser in USA! Safe travels book, I hope you bring joy to your next reader... and beyond?

Journal Entry 7 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Thanks for sending this all this way. Looks like a great book!

Journal Entry 8 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, November 14, 2022
Thanks for sharing this book. I enjoyed reading it.