The Bell Jar

by Sylvia Plath | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 3/31/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, March 31, 2013
The Bell Jar
Author: Sylvia Plath
The Bell Jar chronicles the crack-up of Esther Greenwood: brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under--maybe for the last time. Sylvia Plath masterfully draws the reader into Esther's breakdown with such intensity that Esther's insanity becomes completely real and even rational, as probable and accessible an experiece as going to the movies. Such deep penetration into the dark and harrowing corners of the psyche is an extraordinary accomplishment and has made The Bell Jar a haunting American classic.

This is No. 433 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, February 28, 2023
I went into this book not knowing a whole lot about Sylvia Plath. I knew that she was a poet and had written The Bell Jar, her only novel and that she committed suicide at age 30. The Bell Jar is really a hard hitting novel with its depictions of mental illness. It was reminiscent of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but to me was more poignant in that it was really a semi-biographical account of Plath's younger life. The protagonist's name in the novel is Esther and the novel recounts her life as a young guest editor of a teen magazine and her steady mental breakdown. Plath describes these bouts of mental illness as being inside a bell jar where the air is stifling and there is no way out. After an attempted suicide, Esther is put into an asylum with the crude care of 1950's psychiatry including shock treatments and insulin therapy. She is eventually able to leave but she never knows when the "bell jar" will descend on her life again.

Plath's writing was very descriptive and not all of it was depressing. There is humor spread throughout the novel and some have compared this to a female version of Catcher in the Rye. But this really gave an eye-opening account of mental illness and depression and overall I would recommend it highly.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (3/1/2023 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to another bookcrosser as a wishlist RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, March 6, 2023
Thanks for sending this. I've always heard of this book; I'd love to read it.