Four Mothers

by Shifra Horn | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 8/2/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Thursday, August 2, 2012
Blurb:
Shifra Horn's beautifully imagined novel tells the story of four generations of women in one family against the background of one hundred years in Jerusalem.
The story begins with Amal, of the fifth generation, who is despondent over her husband's desertion after the birth of her son. Her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother are overjoyed, because the birth of a healthy boy means that their family's long curse has been broken--there is no daughter to inherit it. Come, listen, they say to Amal, listen to the story of the curse that foreshadowed every father's disappearance. Be comforted by your "four mothers": Mazal, the orphan, whose ill-fated marriage initiates the curse; her daughter Sara, whose beautiful golden hair becomes a symbol for her power to heal; Sara's daughter Pnina-Mazal, the unwanted child whose talent for knowing others' thoughts brings her both joy and sorrow; and her daughter Geula, Amal's mother, whose sharp intellect and idealism are her gift and her burden.
Epic in scope, mysterious, and rich in the magical realism of fable and the folklore of legend, Four Mothers is a masterpiece

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Summer Gift Giving, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 2, 2012

Released 11 yrs ago (8/3/2012 UTC) at Summer Gift Giving, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

SGG wishlist surprise

Journal Entry 3 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 16, 2012
OOOOOOOOO how happy this makes me! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 8, 2019
I could not get into this book. I will look for a new home for it.

Journal Entry 5 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 21, 2019

Released 5 yrs ago (4/24/2019 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of the Wonderful family sweepstakes Round 5. Congratulations!

Journal Entry 6 by Femke85 at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, June 17, 2019
Thanks for sending this book!

Reserved for alphabet vbb

Journal Entry 7 by Femke85 at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Saturday, September 7, 2019
Probably broke my personal record for “slowest read ever”. This book was only 270 pages and it took me weeks to get through it. I thought the descriptive writing style was tedious and the story never picked up pace. I browsed through the last 50 pages, so I don’t know how it finished, but as nothing major happened throughout the book, I don’t think I missed out.

Four or five generations of women are cursed that their husbands leave them around the time their baby is born. That is the summary of the plot. The author tries to be odescriptive and poetic, but adds too many cliches. It felt like she was trying to write a book for the purpose of it being discussed in book clubs (“oh those poor women and the cultural background of inequality, but look at how female sisterhood saves the day”). The style felt very artificial and too cliche. Not my favorite book.

It has already been picked from the alfabet VBB, so I hope the next reader will enjoy it more than I did.

Journal Entry 8 by Femke85 at on Saturday, September 7, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (9/7/2019 UTC) at

this book has been picked from the vbb and will travel all the way to China!

I always try to post my controlled releases with real stamps. If you are not a collector yourself, you might want to check out this post on the forum about a stamps sweeps that I’m currently organising (sign-up still open) or this one about Bookcrossers who collect stamps. A lot of Bookcrossers collect stamps for charity, so it’s nice to find them a good home!

Edit: my plan was to drop this envelope in the mailbox when I was on my way to the bakery. Unfortunately I really kept to this plan, despite the fact that it started to rain the exact second I sat on my bike. I thought it would be ok, as the parcel was in the bike trailer with my son. however, when I arrived at the mailbox it was pouring down so hard, I didn’t even have the chance to inspect the parcel. I quickly dropped it in the mailbox, before it would be completely ruined by this shower of rain. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this arrives in China and that the ink + stamps will remain visible enough for the post to figure out where it needs to go.

Journal Entry 9 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Monday, September 23, 2019
You didn't have to worry, the book did arrive intact!
I loved the parcel covered in stamp. I know a few collectors who are going to be happy (and there are so much of them that they can all share!)