Interpreter of Maladies: Stories

by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sipanuma of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 5/11/2012
Journal Entry 1 by sipanuma at Arabian Katufestivaali in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 11, 2012

Released 12 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Arabian Katufestivaali in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This Jhumpa Lahiri was recommended by some friend of mine who said the writer is of "Bengali origin", female and everything... To my slight disappointment this Bengali origin thing here doesn't mean she is from Bangladesh. And she's not writing in Bengali.

I hope these short stories will find someone interested in the colourful lifestyle and people in Calcutta.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 12, 2012
Picked up from the Street Festival of Arabia. A friend of mine has been going on and on about this writer, so I'm looking forward to get to know her.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 19, 2014
A friend of mine told me a few years ago about this extraordinary new writer she had found, a woman from India. She really enjoyed her way of telling stories. So when this book came along on the Arabian Street Festival I had to take it.
I really liked the first couple of stories. Then I began to learn the pattern. An underdog not being fairly treated and in the end most times the good does not win. Characters Indian. I'm glad I tried her out, but I guess this book will be enough for me. And you know what? I think I know who her hero is - Charlie Brown! It was probably somewhere halfway the book when I made the connection. Then today I just happened to bump into a little book about Charlie and his friends and picked it up from the Söderkulla Library exchange shelf. Read it right after I had finished Jhumpa and it could have been the last chapter of this book. So I decided to send these both to the winner of a sweeps in Greece. Enjoy!
Edit: Here is the link to You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown: http://www.bookcrossing.com/newregistration/640-12494006

Released 10 yrs ago (2/20/2014 UTC) at During my trip to Peloponissos, -- Not a city, Geographical features, etc. -- Greece

Off to alexiapapa in sunny (???) Greece. Congrats on your win.

Journal Entry 5 by alexiapapa at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Thank you for this book! :)

Journal Entry 6 by alexiapapa at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Released 9 yrs ago (8/21/2014 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

Nice stories that follow kind of the same route.
Sending to the winner of unusual author sweepstake. Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 7 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, September 1, 2014
Thank you, alexiapapa, for sending me this book :-) I've geared a lot about it, but haven't gotten to try it yet.
Look forward to reading it very much!

Thanks also for the scented candles you sent along. Due to allergies I will not use them myself, but I've passed them on to a friend who will.

Journal Entry 8 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, May 31, 2015
Reserved for A Book A Month

Journal Entry 9 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, July 4, 2015
What a nice collection of stories. Stories of the every day life of people frim India, living in other countries. Facing sorrow, seperation of family and loved ones, trying to find a place in the new society.
In general I'm not a big fan of short stories, these I liked, however. The three that appealed most are (in book order): A Temporary Matter, Interpreter of Maladies and Mrs. Sen's.

Journal Entry 10 by Boekentrol at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, July 11, 2015

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2015 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book is now on its way to BaiLong, who won the draw for my book of the month for June.
Sorry it took me a while to get it read and sent out.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 11 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Friday, September 11, 2015
Finally, I got the book! It was pretty stupid of me, I mixed up my office and home address when I sent it to Boekentrol... But the post office employee was super nice today when I realized that and went there to check if they had the parcel, and here it is!

Thanks again Boekentrol, I'm looking forward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 12 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Thursday, November 21, 2019
This is a really nice collection of short stories, which immerge us in the life of Indian people, be it in India or immigrants in the USA. I enjoyed seeing these small snapshots.

Journal Entry 13 by BaiLong at Alphabet VBB (Int'l), A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 21, 2019

Released 4 yrs ago (11/21/2019 UTC) at Alphabet VBB (Int'l), A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I'm sorry it took me so long, but the book is finally in the mail!

Journal Entry 14 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Wednesday, February 19, 2020
This book was returned to me today. I'll contact the BC who was supposed to get it to confirm her address.