Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery Bk. # 1)

by Leslie Budewitz | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by weeder of Worthington, Ohio USA on 3/6/2015
Journal Entry 1 by weeder from Worthington, Ohio USA on Friday, March 6, 2015
This book was released this week and is the first book in a new series called A Spice Shop Mystery by Leslie Budewitz.

After leaving a dicey marriage and losing a beloved in in a corporate crash, Pepper Reece has found a new zest for life running a busy spice and tea shop in Seattle's Pike Place Market. She thinks she can handle any kind of salty customer-until a murderer ends up in the mix...

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Wow! A new cozy detective story series! Thank you very much, Weeder! You are so kind.
I hope you got the post cards I sent to you.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 18, 2016
What a tasty cozy detective story! I am no fan of the American way of life (money money!) and I never was interested in visiting the USA, but this book made me to like Seattle. That's a place I would like to visit. If I remember right I once sent a tactile book made by me to a woman in Seattle. She was teaching reading and English to blind adults.

Anyway I loved reading this book. Now it is time for somebody else to have it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 19, 2016

Released 7 yrs ago (8/19/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I take the book with me to the meet-up in Helsinki.
Happy reading!

This is my # 78 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2016" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 19, 2016
I trust Annelis's good taste. Weeder mentioned a TEA shop, which is right up my alley, being a heavy tea-drinker. Looking forward to reading this.
My workmate's sister went to Seattle first as an exchange student, then she returned there some eight years ago to open a cafeteria (which was not a success) and a few months ago she returned there to work in finances (which is hear "real" profession), so there must be something worth returning to - and as far as I know it is not a man...

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 19, 2023
Finally began reading this and already I am puzzled by the first word of chapter one: An. An herb. If the writer was French, I would understand the mistake, because they pronounce herb ”erb”. If the h is silent, then it is an honour, but a herb is a herb is a herb - isn’t it?

Edit: According to Wikipedia in Commonwealth English a herb is pronounced Hööb, but in American English the h is often silent. Canadians use both Hööbs and Ööbs.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 19, 2023
A Russian samovar mentioned. Here is mine (will add pic when return home). Grandma brought back two from a visit to the Isle of Mantsi, Finnish Karelia (before WW2, nowadays part of Russia). One was stolen from their cellar, so imagine how surprised I was to see a twin samovar to ours in the Ruiskumestarin talo -museum in Helsinki! I would never have thought the Ruiskumestari was a thief.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 27, 2023
...And this samovar is from the Ruiskumestarin talo -museum. I rest my case.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 27, 2023
Never heard of the "more popular" green cardamom, all I've seen is the brown stuff Pepper calls bastard cardamom.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 27, 2023
Fleur de sel from Camargue mentioned. Here is Camargue for you (pic).

Journal Entry 11 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Reading this goes slowly, the book does not have a very good flow, I'm afraid. And me not being into cooking or spices does not help.
Somebody has underlined words and sentences - not me! I was taught very young that it decreases the books' value.
"Sixty-four used to sound old." I know! This year six of my friends turn 60 and that is horrid. My regular dog-sitters are over 80! My oldest friend (in years of friendship) phoned last week and told she's got intestinal cancer. One of my childhood mates dropped dead on the street - heart-attack. A friend and a husband of another friend died of Covid-19 last year, just as the officials had announced that the virus behaves now more or like a seasonal flu. Do I feel old? Heck, yeah!

Journal Entry 12 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, September 2, 2023
"X hired them as employees so he could fire them." Maybe in the US, in Finland trade unions are so strong that you can't get rid of even the lousiest worker without paying fines and compensation. I was once listening to the court case of a no-good vet nurse who had - apart from not learning her job and coming to work regularily - failed to pay for the lab tests of her own dogs (sent to an outside laboratory) or medicines and dog food she and taken and the defense lawyer asked accusingly: "Was she told she had to pay for those?" So all of a sudden it was the employers fault not having mentioned that stealing from him is a no-no! He had to pay her around 20.000 FIM (it was in the beginning of 1990'ies) for wrongful firing. She had been working at the clinic on apprenticeship at the end of which you don't have to hire the person, you just don't employ her. However, if you let her work there even just a day more than the agreed apprenticeship period was, then you are considered to have employed her and that is what happened here. The theoretical part of the training had not been finished by the time the agreed two years were up and the girl had asked if she could work there until she got her diploma, after which it would be easier to seek a new job. This was agreed upon but not put on paper. Big mistake!

Journal Entry 13 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, September 2, 2023
Finally finished. Not quite my mix of herbs. Can't quite put my finger on what ingredients it was lacking, but one key element to all writing is holding the reader's attention and this didn't do it.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkirjakkowing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, September 7, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (9/7/2023 UTC) at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland

Something to spice up the parcel. It's also a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 15 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Thanks! I have the second part of series waiting, so I'm starting this very soon!

Journal Entry 16 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Sunday, September 24, 2023
Well, it took me ages to really get into the book, and still I'm not that impressed. Too much praise for Seattle, for start. I am sure it is a great place, but I would have believed it with less talk about it. And at first I kept forgetting who is who..
But I still liked this book enough to start second part right away!

Journal Entry 17 by Chania at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, September 28, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (9/30/2023 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

To Paulanni!

Journal Entry 18 by wingPaulanniwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, October 2, 2023
Thank you for this surprise book I received at the meetup in Tampere! I love spices and quite liked the part three of the Spice shop mysteries, so I look forward to reading the first and second parts as well, to know how everything began.