The Devil Colony: A Sigma Force Novel

by James Rollins | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 6/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, June 27, 2011
This story starts deep in the Rocky Mountains, with a horrible discovery...
James Rollins is on the prowl again...
I do not want to disclose anything about the storyline - and please, if you read it, don't do it, for the suspense of the coming readers.
Let me just say it has a lot to do with American early history, the early history of the US, Native American people, volcanos - even in Iceland! - and very interesting views into nanotechnology.
It's full of turns and twists, "cliffhangers", making this book non-stoppable to read.

I make a bookRAY with this one. the following bookcrossers read along:

"Icila" from Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France (worldwide)
"bilbi" from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes, France (worldwide)
"Tinina67" from :Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées, France (worldwide)
"perryfran" from North Ogden, Utah, USA (worldwide)
"carlissa" from Miami, Florida, USA (US pref.)

Journal Entry 2 by book-man-8 at Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, July 8, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (7/8/2011 UTC) at Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The book is off to France. Ejoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Saint-Brevin-les-Pins, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, July 15, 2011
The book was waiting for me safely at home. Thanks from Atlantic Ocean.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, August 20, 2011
Under the torture I'll not disclose anything ! ;D

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (8/23/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

En route pour la Savoie !

Journal Entry 6 by bilbi at Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Friday, August 26, 2011
Wow ! Yes, it's a huge book indeed !!! I received it today ! I have one book to read before starting this one ! Fortunately enough I'm on holiday soon :-)

Thanks for sharing !!

\o/

Journal Entry 7 by bilbi at Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, August 31, 2011
I like the way in which fiction and non-fiction intertwine. And it was good to read again of Sigma :-)

Thanks for sharing !

I'm waiting for the next reader's address and would let the book travel on ...

Journal Entry 8 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Thursday, September 15, 2011
This book arrived safe and sound. It seems like a quick read!
Will be send on asap and thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 9 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Tuesday, September 27, 2011
This was a really good read, quite an adventure with interesting characters. Fun read!

Will be send on asap

It is on its way!

Journal Entry 10 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, October 17, 2011
Received in the mail today - thanks Tinina67 for posting from France and as always, book-man-8 for sharing. I've been looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 11 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, October 27, 2011
I was kind of mixed on this one. I have enjoyed most of the previous Sigma novels from Rollins, however, this one just seemed too far-fetched to me. When I first heard about this new Sigma adventure, I was really looking forward to it mainly because of the aspects related to Mormonism (I grew up as a Mormon in Utah) but I don't think Rollins researched this very well - he actually got the name of the Mormon founder wrong a few times, citing John Smith when it should have been Joseph Smith. Then there was the premise in the start of the book about a secret history to the founding of America - I don't think this was ever properly addressed in the novel. Yes, there was all the information about a 14th colony of Native Americans, the gold plates and a possible Caucasian race who came to America from Israel, and the nanotechnology they supposedly used. But to me, this all didn't tie together very well. Then there was the non-stop violence and action - every time the Sigma team was making a discovery, the bad guys (Guild) would be right there! This was a little too much. I did like some of the information about native Americans and the locations of the book including Yellowstone Park which I visited last summer. It is pretty frightening that Yellowstone could erupt sometime soon as a massive volcano and wipe out mankind! But overall, to me this was one of the weakest of Rollins novels and I would only mildly recommend it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingperryfranwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (10/27/2011 UTC) at Miami, Florida USA

Sending to Carlissa in FL to continue this bookray. Enjoy!

USPS DC# 0310 1230 0001 9600 7975

Journal Entry 13 by carlissa at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, October 31, 2011
The Devil Colony made it safe and sound to Miami! I read about half the book a couple months ago, but I didn't get to finish it because the library wanted their book back. I'm looking forward to being able to finish reading this book!

Journal Entry 14 by carlissa at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, December 11, 2011
Finally finished reading this book! I agree with Perryfran's review and there's not much else I can add to it.

Journal Entry 15 by carlissa at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, December 12, 2011
I'm continuing this bookray! The following Bookcrossers are included:

angelface46 (Montrose, Colorado) <-- it's here

easterngirl71 Alton, IL

Journal Entry 16 by carlissa at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (1/3/2012 UTC) at Miami, Florida USA

mailing to angelface46 - hope you enjoy it!

Happy New Year!

Journal Entry 17 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2012
just received-looking forward to reading

Journal Entry 18 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Intriguing book. Being Mormon myself, the link to the Book of Mormon was fascinating. James really did his research. Found the plot exciting. The characters were well developed. The thought of nanobots is truly horrifying.

Journal Entry 19 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Monday, January 23, 2012
still waiting to hear from easterngirl71. I have now sent to PM and have had no reply yet.

Journal Entry 20 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Monday, April 2, 2012
Never heard back after last PM to easterngirl171. She didn't seem that interested in the last PM. I'm running out of bookshelf space so I'm putting this in bookstogive mystery/thriller VBB. The book needs to go out traveling again.

Journal Entry 21 by angelface46 at Goodwill in Grand Junction, Colorado USA on Thursday, December 5, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (12/8/2013 UTC) at Goodwill in Grand Junction, Colorado USA