The House of Lost Souls

by F.G. Cottam | Horror |
ISBN: 034095387X Global Overview for this book
Registered by ReetPetite of Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 6/18/2011
Journal Entry 1 by ReetPetite from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 18, 2011
The Fischer House was the scene of a vicious crime in the 1920s - a crime which still resonates as the century turns. At its heart was a beautiful, enigmatic woman called Pandora Gibson-Hoare, a photographer of genius whose only legacy is a handful of photographs and the clues to a mystery. Paul Seaton was lured to the house ten years ago and escaped, a damaged man. Now three students will die unless he dares to go back. But this time he has Nick Mason at his side, and maybe Mason's military skills and visceral courage will be enough.

I read this while I was on holiday and I couldn't put it down. Great read, very spooky. I wouldn't call it horror, perhaps mild horror.
It had a the use of music that was in 'Dark Echo'. It made you think about whether houses retain evil.

Journal Entry 2 by ReetPetite at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 18, 2011
This is a ray going to:
amme1980, , UK, post Europe
Icila, France, post internationally
Appelsiini, , Finland, post internationally
mysticalzoe, USA, post USA & Canda
perryfran, USA

Last person to RABCK or release.

Posted to amme1980 on 25th June.

Journal Entry 3 by amme1980 at Llantwit Major, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Hello Reet Petite,

Thank you for sending this to me. I will start reading it later today.

Best wishes

Amme1980

Journal Entry 4 by amme1980 at Llantwit Major, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 16, 2011
I really enjoyed this book and would definitely agree with ReetPetite in saying it is more of a mild horror than a full-blown one but in spite of this I found it a real page turner.
I thought Cottam weaved a number of themes and stories together in quite a complex manner but never in such a way that I felt I couldn't follow the plot. Not just a horror, but a love and detective story too.

I will be posting this to Icila on Monday.

Thank you ReetPetite.

Journal Entry 5 by amme1980 at Llantwit Major, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 18, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (7/18/2011 UTC) at Llantwit Major, Wales United Kingdom

And off it goes on it's way to Icila.

I hope you enjoy.

Best wishes

Amme1980

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Saint-Brevin-les-Pins, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, July 24, 2011
Thanks for mailing amme 1980.
I'm slower in my reading these times due to family and friends in the house.

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, August 14, 2011
I'm really sorry but I can't get into it.
Thanks anyway for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (8/18/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

In care of the Post Office.

Journal Entry 9 by Appelsiini at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Arrived today! I have 3 books to read before this one, I'll try to be quick!

Journal Entry 10 by Appelsiini at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, October 6, 2011
I'm so sorry. Too boring, just couldn't get in to it during the first <100 pages so I give up! My TBR pile is getting higher and higher so this one will travel to the next reader.

Journal Entry 11 by Appelsiini at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, October 6, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (10/7/2011 UTC) at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Now this book is travelling to the US. Travel safe and happy bookcrossing! I hope you will enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 12 by rem_EOL-341852 at Gardiner, Maine USA on Saturday, October 22, 2011
I received this book yesterday, I am reading one book now, but will get to this asap!! Thank you for sending!

10-24-11-started to read this, this morning, so far it is intriguing.

11-7-11~I couldn't finsih this for many reasons, the author draws out the beginning too much, the story goes into some issues of other people, and then when he wants tot ell someone about the house we never get to read what he says. That just really bothered me. I got to chapter 7 and it's slow and I just don't have the time to read a slow book right now. I feel bad but I noted others gave up too.

I have Perrfyfrans address and will be sending it out this week.

Journal Entry 13 by rem_EOL-341852 at Gardiner, Maine USA on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (11/8/2011 UTC) at Gardiner, Maine USA

I am sending this out today after I volunteer. Hoping the next person in line has enjoyed it more than I. Good luck and Happy Readings!

Journal Entry 14 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Received in the mail today. Looking forward to reading it. About a year ago, I read Dark Echo by Cottam as part of a bookray and really enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 15 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, July 3, 2014
I really savored every page of this haunting novel. I especially enjoyed Cottam's multilayered story, his descriptions, characters, and his use of the English language to tell the story. The novel starts out at a funeral of a young girl who had committed suicide after visiting a house on the Isle of Wight with a group of other young women. The house was formerly owned and used by Klaus Fischer who was the head of a coven of spiritualists or witches. The funeral is attended by the brother of another of the young women who also attempts suicide. Cottam goes on to tell the story of the history of the house and the people who used it during the 1920's. He also tells the story of Paul Seton, who visited and was haunted by the house in the 1980's and the story of Pandora Gibson-Hoare, an obscure photographer who Seton is researching for his girlfriend. Seton finds a diary left by Gibson-Hoare that details the diabolical affairs at the Fischer house in 1927.

Members of the coven included actual historical figures such as Dennis Wheatley, Aleister Crowley, and Hermann Göring. Wheatley was a writer of occult fiction and Crowley was an occultist who was later considered "the wickedest man in the world." I had never heard of Wheatley but he was evidently a best-selling author in Britain for many years. I need to seek out and read some of his books. I would also like to read more about Crowley. I also read and enjoyed Cottam's Dark Echo a couple of years ago. I will also be looking for more Cottam!

Overall, this novel really captures the imagination and has an overall tone of foreboding. I would highly recommend this one!

Journal Entry 16 by wingperryfranwing at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 3, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (7/3/2014 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to BookBirds in NY. Saw this one on your wish list so hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 17 by BookBirds at Somewhere in the USA, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Saturday, July 12, 2014
Thank you for another wish granted! A former book ray, no less! I'll keep it moving when I've finished it...