Battle Royale, Vol. 3

Registered by AKSarah of Fairbanks, Alaska USA on 6/2/2011
Journal Entry 1 by AKSarah from Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Thursday, June 9, 2011
I'm loving this series about a class of students forced into a battle to the death on a remote island. I can't wait to read the whole series!

Journal Entry 2 by AKSarah at Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (7/13/2011 UTC) at Fairbanks, Alaska USA

Mailed to GoryDetails to kick off my Graphic Novel/Manga bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 4, 2011
I chose this book from AKSarah's manga/graphic-novel bookbox along with and Volume One and Volume Two; it looks like a dark, nihilistic series, reminding me in some ways of The Drifting Classroom (though it's an interesting question whether a deliberate battle-of-attrition is more evil than an accidental one). The TV Tropes page has a lot of information about the story - including the tidbit that it was originally a novel, and that there's a film as well!

Later: This one opens in mid-killing, with icy Kazuo looting the bodies of his latest victims - and with a revelation from Shogo; he's played the game before! Shuuya's still trying to forge a trustworthy alliance - will it work? And as if the suspense weren't enough, the crawlingly-nasty MC has some comments of his own about these events, suggesting a very different interpretation of some people's motives.

More tragic backstory here, with a girl who was caught up in some nightmarish scenes long before she wound up in the battle. And some clever scheming by others - though it could be a challenge to hide their plots from the viewers, what with audio and video everywhere. And in contrast to the girl who was victimized sexually, another used her sex to victimize others - but whether she can continue to do that during the game is another question.

[One of the many disturbing elements of the story is the way it lumps the reader with the viewers of the show; between guards betting on who survives to players talking about how they used to bet on the same thing in previous battles, it's all too clear that the reader is also trying to work out who's going to survive - if not exactly as a bet...]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (10/4/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book into AKSarah's graphic novel/manga bookbox, which will be on its way to BCer quietorchid in Minnesota soon. Hope someone enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Another tough volume. More graphic sex in this one, usually with an element of coercion. And, not so oddly, usually with the 'bad' characters. Reminded me of the 'bad' girls in the Haloween movies that you always knew where dead because of their transgressing moral values. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this.

Still, with the unveiling of Kawada's past, and the hints he may not be what we think (note: I believe in him!), our hero Shuuya's team is starting to take shape....

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (10/11/2012 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sending off to South Dakota as a care package!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 7 by SDnativeNYCer at Brookings, South Dakota USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012
Received the book (with BR 1 and BR 2) yesterday (Saturday, Oct. 13 2012) in Brookings, SD via US mail from quietorchid. She and I had discussed "The Hunger Games" trilogy (which I enjoyed) and she thought I would like the BR series also.