One Day

by David Nicholls | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCassiopaeiawing of Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on 5/29/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, May 29, 2011
This is A World Book Night book that I found but sadly it had no registeration number. After some deliberation I decided to register it to my shelf, in the hope of tracking it's onward journey.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 2, 2011
I'm probably in a minority here but this book really did very little for me. It started out ok but half way through I just wanted to get it finished and get on with something else from TBR. The yearly format was interesting and at least had the positive effect of moving the story on at a good pace; I was entirely sick of Dexter by the time I finished. I should have known when I saw a quote from Marian Keys on the front cover that it wouldn't be for me.
Hopefully whoever picks it up next will be more appreciative!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, June 12, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (6/13/2011 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
In the mail to The Netherlands for chamonix44 from her Wish List.

Journal Entry 4 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, June 18, 2011
Thank you so much Cassiopaeia for sending me this WBN copy from my wishlist. I am really glad to have it, and to have the chance to add my own review to this book, eventually, therefore allowing me to play a little part in World Book Night, by being a part of this book's history.
I will get around to reading it as soon as I can. Sorry I missed you when I was in Cardiff. The next time I come, I will contact you in advance, (now that I know you are there)! Thanks also for the beautiful postcard showing Cardiff Castle. I will treasure that.

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing and thanks for being a part of World Book Night 2011, the largest book giveaway in history. 1,000,000 specially printed copies of 25 different books changed hands on March 5th 2011 and began their journey from reader to reader. This book is one of them. World Book Night has joined with BookCrossing to help track these books as they travel. You can be a part of that journey by making a comment in the book's journal here on BookCrossing. Your journal entry can say how you got the book, what you thought of it, your plans for it or whatever else you might like to add.

On BookCrossing you may choose to remain anonymous or join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID). It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Thanks in advance for being part of World Book Night and BookCrossing. And happy reading and sharing.

This book is being released via BookCrossing on 5 March 2011 as part of the inaugural World Book Night. With the full support of the Publishers Association, the Booksellers Association, the Independent Publishers Guild, the Reading Agency with libraries, World Book Day and the BBC, one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland.

Read and release!

Journal Entry 5 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, June 28, 2011
I finished reading this book today. It took me longer than I had anticipated. It just didn't draw me in very quickly. I liked Emma right from the start, but Dexter.....not very much! I found it strange that Emma didn't allow herself to "sleep" with Dexter, for many years, even though she loved him. It wasn't as if she was keeping herself "pure" as she was living with Ian at one time, and had an affair with Phil, a married man! Even if Dexter was handsome, I couldn't understand how she could continue fancying him even when she knew how he conducted his love life with other women. Like the reader before me, Cassiopaeia, I was fed up with Dexter after a while.

I was a bit shocked when I got to the last few chapters, as what happened in the end was completely unexpected, (by me). I did feel a bit emotional whilst reading the very last chapter, and the last page.
I am so glad that I had a chance to read this book, and to be a part of its reading history.
I will now try to lend this book out to members of our Anglican church congregation, here in The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 6 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (8/4/2011 UTC) at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands

I delivered this book to my friend, Lies, this morning as she was on her way for a short break to Düsseldorf in Germany. She will read it and give it back to me on her return. I am not expecting a journal entry from Lies, but I will ask her what she thought of the book afterwards and I will write it here. (For the English journallers reading this, LIES is pronounced like LEECE!!!)
Message for Lies:
Just in case you do get to read this Lies, and in case you can manage a journal entry....I hope you enjoy the book...and don't worry about writing a long journal entry, just one sentence will do!!
I wish you a pleasant break in Germany, with some good reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, August 7, 2011
I received this book back from my friend, Lies, today. She asked me to write a short journal entry for her. Here it is:

Journal entry from Lies:
Good book. I really liked Emma, but I thought Dexter was the wrong sort of man for her. The ending was unexpected. Quite sad. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingchamonix44wing at Nijverdal, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, February 24, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (2/24/2012 UTC) at Nijverdal, Overijssel Netherlands

I'm having a get-together with expat friends,and lots of them want to read the WBN books This book is going to Nijverdal with Peggy. I will stand over her soon and make her write a journal entry, otherwise we might never get one! Since there is a computer here....why not?

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nijverdal, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, February 24, 2012
Let go of my arm...Lol !! Thank you Nicole. I will read this book. I have heard only good things about it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nijverdal, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 6, 2012
Great story, shocking ending! As for Dexter, well I wouldn't have fancied him one little bit!
Sad at the end, though easy to read. Will I read another book now that I have managed to read this one? The answer is yes! I am at this expat meeting and there are more books to be borrowed. So I'm off to choose one.

Journal Entry 11 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 6, 2012
I received this book back today at our big expat meeting. There are lots of books passing hands today. It's great!
Although this book has only been out to a couple of other readers apart from me, I am going to temporarily retire my 2011 WBN book box, while I promote my new 2012 WBN book box. I do not have all the 2012 World Book Night titles, unfortunately, as they are proving so hard for me to get, and it doesn't help with me being stuck out here in The Netherlands!
However, I do have enough 2012 titles to lend out to new readers today, I think. So until all the 2012 titles are out with new readers, this book will take a rest. Until then....

Journal Entry 12 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Since I ended up with two copies of this great book, I am going to send this one on to Elskaliam in Sweden.

Journal Entry 13 by Elskaliam at Hässleholm, Skåne Sweden on Sunday, September 30, 2012
Thank you sooo much you are incredibly generous my dear! Kisses and hugs for you!