Night of Many Dreams: A Novel

by Gail Tsukiyama | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 0312199406 Global Overview for this book
Registered by megami-no-ushi of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 2/16/2011
Journal Entry 1 by megami-no-ushi from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 16, 2011
I've enjoyed books by Tsukiyama in the past and picked this one up to read before sending on in a RABCK.

From Booklist via amazon:
In a story where the omniscient narrator moves the point of view among the family participants, and where time may shift years between chapters or linger over moments slow and sweet as honey, we view the world of Emma Lew of Hong Kong and, later, San Francisco; her older sister Joan; and their family from 1940 to 1965. The changing mores of Hong Kong society are the backdrop for the tender relationships among Emma, who longs for a wider world than her mother's ladies' lunches; Joan, who finds her place in the movies that have fed her dreams since childhood; Auntie Go, who pulls deeply against tradition by running her own business; and silent servant Foon, whose cooking forges a near-mystical familial bond. Particularly fine at evoking how scent and aroma can jog the memory and clutch at the heart, the tale grows in richness as it proceeds, a paean to the sustaining pleasures of family. GraceAnne A. DeCandido

To the finder:
Welcome to bookcrossing! You have "caught" what we call a "travelling book." It is now your book to keep or to read and pass on to another reader and follow where the book goes. This is done by journal entries, so I really hope you'll journal it, if only to tell me you found it. You can do this anonymously, or sign up (free and private, no spam) and also be able to follow the book as it travels! If you do, please consider listing me, megami-no-ushi as your referring member.

Journal Entry 2 by megami-no-ushi at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, February 17, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/17/2011 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

FInally getting this package off for the mini north american "you've got mail" sweepstakes. So sorry I ran so behind -real life can be such a pain sometimes!

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 3 by ikkinlala at Enderby, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, March 17, 2011
Received for the North American You've Got Mail Sweepstakes - thank you! I'm sure I'll enjoy reading this. Thanks also for the lovely card, bookmark, and bookcrossing supplies (I hope your grad school application went okay!).

Journal Entry 4 by ikkinlala at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada on Friday, October 15, 2021
Sorry this one took me so long - it was an interesting read, especially the details about Macao (which I knew little about).

It's now slated for wild release soon.

Journal Entry 5 by ikkinlala at Little Library in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada on Saturday, October 16, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/16/2021 UTC) at Little Library in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

I'm planning to leave this in one of the Little Free Libraries on my walk tonight.