Heart and Soul: What It Takes to Promote Health While Confronting Cancer

by Janet Laurel | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by AmberColo of Idaho Springs, Colorado USA on 7/24/2003
Journal Entry 1 by AmberColo from Idaho Springs, Colorado USA on Thursday, July 24, 2003
Does Heart and Soul have sex? (Yes, the dry kind that comes with chemotherapy.) What about violence? (Yes, the violent reactions of a body under chemical siege.) How about travel and adventure? (Sure, the protagonist flies all over, from Los Angeles to Ireland to Montana to New York, trying to breathe and buy non-approved drugs.) Is it a true story, filled with drama, rage, love, illness, forgiveness, acceptance, and joy? (Yup. And it has some great lawyer jokes, too.)

I can say that this book is amazing, and I'd say that even if I weren't the co-author.

Heart and Soul traces the path of Janet Laurel, a smart, sassy turbo-chick, through her journey with breast cancer and beyond. The docs said she'd be dead years ago, but here she is, telling her story and giving advice about how to turn cancer from a life-threatening disease into a chronic illness.

If you've been affected by cancer, have an interest in complementary and alternative care, or want to know more about spiritually-assisted medicine, you'll find Heart and Soul a valuable resource. The book also takes an unwavering look at conventional medical stategies and describes the birth of The Cherubim Foundation, a non-profit organization Janet started to help other women undergoing cancer treatment.

In 1996, as Janet was throwing up for the third solid hour after her first chemotherapy treatment, she thought, "Something good has to come out of this." That "something good" is Heart and Soul. Janet and I hope it helps every person who picks it up.

Amber Dahlin

Journal Entry 2 by altopat from Palm Harbor, Florida USA on Sunday, October 26, 2003
A fellow breast cancer friend released this book to me.

As a 27 year cancer survivor, I wanted to read parts of it again and again. Yet, I was anxious to share it with our Parish Nurse so I finally released it. Great journey. My first brush with BookCrossing.com but certainly not the last.

I really loved the idea of releasing books to fire stations on 9/11!