Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation

by Regina Jeffers | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on 6/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, June 19, 2010
Amazon Editorial Review:

Darcy's Hunger takes the greatest literary romance of all time and reinvents it around the hottest publishing genre--vampire romance. No story lends itself better to adaptation. Two lovers trying to overcome that which separates them: their pride, their prejudice, Darcy's vampirism and the evil workings of master vampire George Wickham.

From the cover:

Vampire Darcy's Desire presents Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice as a heart-pounding vampire romance filled with passion and danger. Tormented by a 200-year-old curse and his fate as a half-human/half-vampire dhampir, Mr Darcy vows to live forever alone rather than inflict the horrors of life as a vampire on an innocent wife. But when he comes to Netherfield Park, he meets the captivating Elizabeth Bennett.

As a man, Darcy yearns for Elizabeth, but as a vampire, he is also driven to possess her. Uncontrollably drawn to each other, they are forced to confront a "pride and prejudice" never before imagined - while wrestling with the seductive power of forbidden love. Meanwhile, dark forces are at work all around them. Most ominous is the threat from George Wickham, the purveyor of the curse, a demon who vows to destroy each generation of Darcys.

Written in authentic Austen style and faithful to its Regency eara setting, Vampire Darcy's Desire retells the greatest love story of all time in a hauntingly imaginative fashion.

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, June 19, 2010
I found it difficult to categorize this book. It is more romance than horror, but then there is also the humour element. In the end I took the easy option and just blandly categorized it as literature and fiction.

There is alot to criticize about Vampire Darcy's Desire; editing errors abound, clumsy grammer and the all too common americanisms; however, the romance and passion between Darcy and Elizabeth won me over and I found it a hugely enjoyable read. There are many many Pride and Prejudice adaptations and quite a few have a vampire twist, I found this to be among the best I have read. I really liked Ms Jeffers' explanation as to why Darcy was so aloof and removed and downright rude when he first met Elizabeth. It made sense to me that he had a reason to shun society, other than his pride.

There were also elements to the story that didn't sit well with me, for example; Elizabeth's reaction when Lydia ran off with Wickham, her developing relationship with Colonel Fitzwilliam and the final showdown with Wickham. I felt the writing became a little formulaic and rushed, even a little silly. I think Ms Jeffers was at her best as a romance writer and the love story between Darcy and Elizabeth was very nicely told.

Whilst told from outside the bedroom door, this Elizabeth Bennett would have Jane Austen spin from her grave, she was totally 21st century and not just in her passion for her man. She was quite the tomboy in this incarnation.

Overall an entertaining, quick read, nothing that will tax the mind. 7/10 stars

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k at TGI Friday's Restaurant in Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (6/29/2011 UTC) at TGI Friday's Restaurant in Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland

Enjoy!!