Alex Cross's TRIAL (Alex Cross, Bk 15)

by James Patterson, Richard DiLallo | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 3/7/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, March 7, 2010
Book Description:
As a lawyer in turn-of-the-century Washington D.C., Ben Corbett represents the toughest cases. Fighting against oppression and racism, he risks his family and his life in the process. When President Roosevelt asks Ben to return to his home town to investigate rumors of the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan there, he cannot refuse.

When he arrives in Eudora, Mississippi, Ben meets the wise Abraham Cross and his beautiful daughter, Moody. Ben enlists their help, and the two Crosses introduce him to the hidden side of the idyllic Southern town. Lynchings have become commonplace and residents of the town's black quarter live in constant fear. Ben aims to break the reign of terror -- but the truth of who is really behind it could break his heart.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, March 8, 2010
For Patterson, I thought this was a very powerful novel delving into the racial injustices in the South during the early 20th century. Although the title of the book implies that this is an Alex Cross thriller, it is actually much more. It tells the story of Cross' great uncle, Abraham, and his cousin, Moody, in the town of Eudora, Mississippi. It is the story of lynchings, racial bigotry, hatred, and violence towards African Americans at that time, and paints a very ugly picture of man's inhumanity to man. The book is written in Patterson's fast short-chapter style and is a very quick read but the subject matter leaves you with something more to think about that his usual action thrillers. The trial sequences in the book were somewhat reminiscent of "To Kill a Mockingbird" but not quite in the same league. The book includes references to historical figures such as W.E.B. DuBois and Teddy Roosevelt but I'm not sure of the historical accuracies. If the South was anything like what is portrayed in this story, there is a lot to be ashamed of! Overall, a high recommendation for this one.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. dastephan6 from Massachusetts, USA (US only)
. easterngirl71 from Illinois, USA (?)<----Skipped
. southernfryed from South Carolina, USA (International if needed)

. Bjorg from Iceland (EU preferred - international if necessary)
. Jonniboi from UK (UK only)<----Book is here

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to pass it on within a couple of months - others are waiting!)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* END OF THE RAY, The last person on the ray could try and continue the ray or just give/mail the book to someone else who might like to read it, perhaps a RABCK.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Bookray is now complete. Thanks everyone for participating!

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, March 12, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (3/12/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On its way to dastephan6 to start this bookray. Enjoy!

USPS DC# 0308 0660 0000 7783 0321

Journal Entry 5 by dastephan6 from Lawrence, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2010
arrived today. a couple in front of it, but will get to it asap. i love this series!

Journal Entry 6 by dastephan6 from Lawrence, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, May 5, 2010
very good book! a bit different then the series, but still great. I love James Patterson. Thanks Perryfran for thinking of me when you organized this ring!

Journal Entry 7 by dastephan6 at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 21, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (5/21/2010 UTC) at Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

finally sending off to the next person

Journal Entry 8 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Monday, May 24, 2010
This book arrived today-looking forward to getting started. I have to comment that the package was torn and the book is not in the best condition. I am assuming that the damage happened somewhere in the mail system. I will tape it up the best I can. If I remember correctly, Easterngirl71 asked to be put behind me. Unless I hear differently, I'm planning to mail it to her when I am finished.

6/18/2010
Update: I am 150 pages into this book so I hope it won't take much longer. I have pm'd Easterngirl71 for an address today.

6/22/2010
I am happy to report that I finally finished this book. It was a hard read for me and I'm glad I finished. I don't feel this book belonged in the Alex Cross series. Maybe, I had a hard time with this one because I have house guest and health issues this month. And maybe it was because I am a southern girl ashamed of our past.
I have pm'd Easterngirl71 twice and have received no reply. I am now pming Perryfran to find out whether I should skip to the next person or not.

6/23/2010
As per Perryfran, I have pm'd Bjorg for address.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Thursday, July 1, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (7/1/2010 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

dropped in the mail

Journal Entry 10 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Tuesday, August 3, 2010
The book was waiting for me when I returned from my holiday:) will start on it right away:)

Journal Entry 11 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Saturday, August 7, 2010
I really liked the book but it was also so difficult to read it. Sometimes I was not even sure I could finish it but am glad I did.

I have already contacted Jonniboi and he asked me not to send the book right away as he is going on holidays so I will wait a few days and then mail it over to the UK.

Journal Entry 12 by Bjorg at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (8/11/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

The book will now keep on going and travel to jonniboi.

Journal Entry 13 by JonniC at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 31, 2010
right, thanks for the book, and I thank Bjorg for the head's up about it not being an easy read, however I have a slight problem! I am someone who MUST read a series in order, and I didn't realise that this book was part of a series, so I've just looked it up and it's like the 15th book in the series. Which has left me stumped and unsure of what to do next, I have 3 options:

1) read it anyway (which I'm 99.9% sure I will not do)

2) Keep it and buy/receive the other 14 books and read them before hand

or

3) pass this on to someone else. Since I'm the last in the Ray, I'm stuck between 2) & 3) maybe I'll decide later!