Silent in the Grave

by Deanna Raybourn | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by TracyW on 2/11/2010
Journal Entry 1 by TracyW on Thursday, February 11, 2010
Quite good as a book, with some very funny bits and an interesting heroine, although the hero was I thought a bit overly perfect, one of those people who turn out to be good at everything, a lot like Sayer's Lord Peter Whimsy just without the sense of humour, self-deprecation and the patter that makes Lord Peter enjoyable. I think the author was in love with him a bit too much. The heroine also I thought was a bit too little of her own time, for example she makes friends with a courtesan with barely a qualm, although at least the author tries to justify this in emphasising the eccentricity of her heroine's family, who do provide some pleasant variety, for example The Ghoul is a delight (not an actual Ghoul, but the name is certainly appropriate). As an intellectual puzzle the story wasn't the best, and the detective didn't do any brillant deducations, but I do plan to read the next one in the series.

Released 11 yrs ago (2/15/2010 UTC) at Liverpool Street Station, in City of London, Greater London United Kingdom

Left on the sugarshelf at Costco at the Bishopgate exit.