Apocalypso

by Robert Rankin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Nauris of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Nauris from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 9, 2010
From the back cover:

"The Ministry of Serendipity at Mornington Crescent runs everything. And that means everything. When the Ministry learns of a spacecraft that crashed four thousand years ago into the Pacific Ocean it sends an elite team of paranormal investigators to recover it. A mad alien thaws out, there is hell and horror all around and thousands flee in terror. Porrig has inherited a planet, or it might be a bookshop, or it might be a gateway into another world. And Porrig is worried, because he has learned a terrible secret. But if he told people, would they listen? No. But perhaps they should, because a mad alien has thawed out, there is hell and horror all around and thousands are fleeing in terror. And there is every likelihood of there being a bloody big explosion at the end. Will Porrig manage to do anything about it at all?"

I've enjoyed rending many of Rankins humorous fantasy stories. Now it has come time for this book to find new readers, so enjoy !

Journal Entry 2 by Nauris at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 26, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (3/26/2010 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Annettu eteenpäin kaverille. Kirja matkaa täältä Helsingistä ainakin Jyväskylän suuntaan, saa nähdä minne lopulta päätyy. Mukavia lukuhetkiä.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Saatu kaverilta luettavaksi koska pidän ja luen normaalisti paljon scifiä. Kirjassa on hyvät hetkensä, mutta kokonaisuutena huumori ei minuun uponnut. Välillä on kuitenkin mukava lukea jotain huumoripainotteista ja vähemmän raskasta :)

Journal Entry 4 by LucaFinn at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Saturday, September 25, 2010
Pitkän pistekauden jälkeen innostuin lukemaan tämän.
Humoristista scififantasiaa, kirjailija hyvin tuottelias. Pratchett tulee hetkittäin mieleen.
Hyvin kirjoitettu, kielellinen ilmaisu kivaa. Ei mikään ikimuistoinen kokemus kumminkaan.

to freedom

Journal Entry 6 by teknohog at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Cheers!

Journal Entry 7 by teknohog at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Sunday, January 12, 2014
This Rankin guy might just be my new favourite writer. The kind of verbal puns I like to coin at the awkwardest of moments, he has made an artform out of them, added some awesome alliterations and poetic presence, all in order to tell a light-hearted fantasy story with a few profound undercurrents. The book as a whole is not particularly grand, and the adolescent humour may get a little heavy to some tastes, but as a reading experience it was very enjoyable. Oftentimes I found myself reading a passage aloud to get a better feel for the rhymes and riddles -- some of the poetry is laid out in verse, but a lot of it is hidden within innocent-looking paragraphs of prose.

I am rating this fairly high partly because I have not read a full novel in a long time, and this book was the breath of fresh air that restored my faith in books for a while :)

Ehkä rankin release ikinä.

Journal Entry 9 by Luinelen at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 28, 2015
Got this from a fellow knitter.
The book has some very funny moments and is a nice enough light read, but on the whole is silly in a not so good way.
I'm going to give this to my husband to read next.