The Snow Cow: Ghost Stories for Skiers

by Martin Kochanski | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780956319906 Global Overview for this book
Registered by kalafudra of on 2/4/2010
Journal Entry 1 by kalafudra from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, February 4, 2010
The thirteen stories in this collection are all rather similar in tone - not really scary and, like Kochanski's writing, trying a little too hard. Some of the stories are a little surreal, but mostly they remain in the traditional confines of the genre. Overall, they're easy to read and since it's Kochanski's first fiction book I can cut him some slack in the cases where the language doesn't flow perfectly.

Yet I can't really recommend this book because of two things: One, it annoyed the hell out of me that all the skiing people are basically rich snobs. This is just not true in Austria (and in Switzerland, either, I'm pretty sure) since almost every child learns to ski here. Two (and more importantly) it's incredibly misogynistic. Almost every woman in these stories is shallow, obsessed with looks and shopping and a little daft. What the hell?

Still, if you're not bothered by that, I guess that you will enjoy this book.

More infos on the stories in particular on my blog:

Journal Entry 2 by kalafudra at Artis Kino in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria on Thursday, February 4, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/5/2010 UTC) at Artis Kino in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria

I'll put the book next to the popcorn machine at Artis... don't know how long it will stay there, though.