The Karamazov Brothers (Oxford World's Classics)

by Fydor Dostoevsky | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780199536375 Global Overview for this book
Registered by TracyW on 1/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by TracyW on Saturday, January 9, 2010
Very long, very good book. It did however I think lack the humour of Crime and Punishment, although the sections with Koyla were rather funny, and when Ivan was hallucinating the devil. The different-names-for-the-same-person-Russian thing wasn't that much of a problem as Dostoevsky differentiated the characters sufficiently that shortly into the book (short being relative here) I found myself being able to work out who was who just from the way they spoke, thought and acted.
There are some superb bits in here, eg the reflections on psychology during the defenders' speech that made me think of this as almost a response to Agatha Christie's Poirot, although of course the timing is all wrong. Contrary to the introducer of the edition I read, I found the portrayal of the Russian justice system reasonably positive, everyone in it, while very human, seemed to be trying to do their jobs, and there was a shortage of police brutality.
Of course it's always valuable to bear in mind after you've read a long book that the sheer amount of time you put into it is likely to make you value the book all the more. But still, I think this is a very good read.

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thanks so much for your donation TracyW!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.