The War at Troy

by Lindsay Clarke | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by RonOren of Wandsworth, Greater London United Kingdom on 1/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by RonOren from Wandsworth, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 9, 2010
This book pretty much does what it says on the tin: it's a very straightforward retelling of the war at Troy. While it starts with the Apple of Discord (surely I don't need to explain?), it meanders through time a bit to introduce most of the protagonists with their backgrounds (i.e. parents, grandparents etc.). Eventually, it comes to the war itself, where it follows Homer's lead of handpicking the best bits for telling. Rather than following the Greeks back to their homes (as most retellings seem to do), the book neatly finishes when Troy's sacked and Menelaos (sorry, can't do the Latin spelling) is reunited with Helena.

Easy to read, simple story. There's really not much to say about this; which in this case is a pretty good sign. I would never recommend this over the Iliad (which I still have to read in its most literal translation, but I'm guessing it's about as good as the Odyssee), but as retelling go, this is one of the better ones I've read.

On to DJgib it goes, I should think.

Journal Entry 2 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 9, 2010
Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 3 by DJgib at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 14, 2019
Well, I got through it. I thought about putting it aside because I wasn't enjoying it much, but for quizzing and general knowledge purposes this was quite an accessible way to finally be able to tell my Achilles from my Ajax.

I'm sure it's written fine. I could picture everything happen, and had a very clear visual image of all the characters - they really came alive as people. The only problem is, it turns out that the Iliad as a story is, um, basically a litany of blokes being really entitled, comparing the size of their egos, and treating women like chattel. I'm done with that.

But I'm sure there will be people who will enjoy it, so it's now available for the next person.