A Pale View of Hills

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 067972267x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 12/5/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, December 5, 2009
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

I picked this book up from paperbackswap.com so I could send it to ApoloniaX as a holiday surprise.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, December 5, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This book is off by mail to ApoloniaX in Germany. Happy happy holidays to you! Enjoy!

For future readers: If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Just received your holiday surprise - thank you so much, judygreeneyes!
Looking forward to reading it!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, December 28, 2009
I know there are quite a few interpretations, but for me it is a psychological novel about a mother trying to come to terms with her daughter’s suicide. It’s so full of tiny details one can easily overlook, it is tender and disturbing at the same time. Even the characters in the background are drawn well, they bring up a few more topics that the novel deals with such as the father-son relationship or the changes in Japanese society (especially regarding the role of women). I love the enigmatic narrative style and the languid pace, the melancholia, the understatement. Things are left open in the end, questions remain – I appreciate this, it made me think more about the story. The reader can choose how to interpret Etsuko’s haunting world. A masterpiece.

Journal Entry 5 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thanks so much for your donation ApoloniaX!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 16, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/18/2010 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to 1001-library member TracyW in UK.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by TracyW on Thursday, January 21, 2010
Very typical Kazuo Ishiguro, lots and lots of undercurrents, hidden meanings, etc, characters obliquely referring to what they want. This novel went in quite a surprising direction though, given the blurb on the back. The central character, Etsuko, spends her time reminiscing not about her daughter who committed suicide, but about a "friend" called Sachiko and her daughter Mariko, who Etsuko meet during the time she was pregnant with Kieko. It makes for a very tantalising story as you try to figure out how what happened during that pregnancy influnced the Etsuko's later decisions in life - to leave her first, Japanese, husband and marry an Englishman.

Some bits of the story are quite funny, these are mostly when Sachiko tries to self-servingly justify herself in various ways to Etsuko. Then there's the exploration of politics and education, in Etsuko's father-in-law, Ogata's conflict with Shigeo Matsuda, an ex-student of Ogata, who wrote a critical article about pre-WWII Japanese education.

It is quite tantalising the way in which Sachiko's story might be Etsuko's memory of what she herself did, which at first I doubted, as Sachiko's process of leaving her husband seemed quite different to Etsuko's but then on thinking about it it is quite a possible story, so we sort of get Etsuko's life story all at once, layered on top of each other, the breakup of her first marriage, her decision to leave Japan, her relationship with her first daughter and her relationship with her younger, English, daughter, like a medieval painting that shows different scences from a characters' life in the same space.

Overall very absorbing and I am glad that I read it.

Journal Entry 8 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 9, 2013

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing TracyW:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Released 6 yrs ago (5/29/2015 UTC) at Level 2, 133 Houndsditch in City of London, Greater London United Kingdom

Left in the kitchen area at work.