Annie John

by Jamaica Kincaid | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by davemurray101 of Christiansted, US Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands on 11/9/2009
Journal Entry 1 by davemurray101 from Christiansted, US Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands on Monday, November 9, 2009
Annie John is growing up on the magical island of Antigua. It should be a sojourn in paradise for her but adolescence takes the brilliant, headstrong girl into open rebellions and secret discoveries, and finally to a crisis of emotions that wrenches her away from her island home.

Journal Entry 2 by davemurray101 from Christiansted, US Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands on Monday, November 16, 2009
Now a 1001 bookray and a book for armchair travellers to Antigua..

participants so far..

Jozebedee (UK)
shovelmonkey1 (uk)
ETMadrid (Uk)
kingfan30 (UK)

Journal Entry 3 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 23, 2009

Released 13 yrs ago (11/23/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

posted to Icila today. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, November 29, 2009
Received safe at home. Thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 15, 2009
A typical adolescence crisis for a single child. I myself passed through a nervous breackdown at that age and actually the remedy was holiday-camps with other teenagers. I see the point to get away from the tiny island.

PMing EmgeeNL

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
On its way today.
Sorry for the delay.
The roads were too hazardous with the snow before my departure for 3 weeks abroad.

Journal Entry 7 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 26, 2010
The book arrived. It's going on my TBR for now

Thanks Icila for the nice bookcrossing items. I only noticed them while I was reading the book.
I enjoyed this one.

Journal Entry 8 by EmgeeNL at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (2/24/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

The book is on it's way to the UK

Journal Entry 9 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, March 4, 2010
Oh, I really liked this book! It arrived yesterday, conveniently just as I'd finished my last book. I took it to work today and managed to finish it in my lunch break. It's wonderfully written and I think really deals well with Annie's conflict with her mother. I loved the ending.

I should have katrinat's address, so I'll be posting it to her in the morning. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 6, 2010
I read this book earlier this month, I hadn't remember that I was part of a bookring for it (doh!). I did love it, and now hve one of Kincaid's non-fiction books to read. I'll get the next address than get it moving on its way.

Released 12 yrs ago (4/3/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way, sorry it took so long

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 9, 2010
Received today - thanks katrinat! Thanks Dave for including me in this ray - will get to it as soon as I can :)

Journal Entry 13 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 25, 2010
I liked this book, but found that I couldn't read it all in one go (even though it is quite short). When I wasn't reading it I thought about it a lot. I found it a very touching story, although a little sad. I wish the ending could have been happier for Annie.
Sending on to the next reader tomorrow.

Released 12 yrs ago (4/26/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

In the post now heading towards shovelmonkey1 - enjoy!!

Journal Entry 15 by shovelmonkey1 from Crystal Palace, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 10, 2010
Received today! Thanks for sending this on to me - glad it arrived as I know you were worried about where it might have disappeared to. Thanks to all involved in this bookray. Will read and release this week.

Journal Entry 16 by shovelmonkey1 from Crystal Palace, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Read in two sittings. A very easy and enjoyable read which reminded me of a combination of The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys and I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou. Annie John has probably been compared to these books before but the island setting and melodic sing-song prose reminded me of both books. (If you've not read either of these books but liked Annie John then you will probably like them!). The saddest part of this book was the way Annie's childhood ended so soon and she was quickly consumed with a kind of suspicion and bitterness more associated with adult life.

Another 1001 book ticked off the list. Now waiting for the next persons address to send it on.

Released 12 yrs ago (5/14/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Releasing to ETmadrid by post. Hope you enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 18 by ETMadrid from Rotherhithe, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
It arrived today - thank you. I have quite a lot to read before I get to this, but it shouldn't be overly long - I'll keep you posted.

I just finished this: I enjoyed it but felt it was just the beginning of something greater. I want to know what happens to her in England, how her feelings for her parents develop and whether she ever wants to return to Antigua.

Journal Entry 20 by ETMadrid at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (7/27/2010 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

It's in the Royal Mail van right now.

Journal Entry 21 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Book has arrived safe and sound, thanks for sharing x

15 Aug 10 - I really enjoyed this book and could relate to Annies relationship with her mum. I would love to know what happens after, the book finished too soon! It appears I am last in this ray so will see if I can find a good home for it and keep it travelling.

Journal Entry 22 by kingfan30 at Shah Alam, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (9/7/2010 UTC) at Shah Alam, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia

Sent to kairulizwan as a RABCK

This book has been released to raise awareness of LUCIA , a small charity which supports women and orphans in Ethiopia. BookCrossers around the world are taking part in a challenge in September 2010, where we will be releasing hundreds of books with a word relating to women's roles, or women's names in the title. If you would like to donate to this worthwhile charity, please  click here . Thank you for your interest in this book and LUCIA!

Journal Entry 23 by kairulizwan at Shah Alam, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Friday, January 14, 2011
Received the book via mail on 11/01/11 [Tuesday]. I was hanging out with my friend at Old Town White Coffee cafe here in Taipan USJ, Subang Jaya, Selangor when my mum called me and said "There's a book inside the mail box from the UK". I was so happy to receive the book as it has travelled thousand miles from the UK to reach Malaysia. Thanks to Royal Mail and also Pos Malaysia! ;)

So, it is a pleasure to tell all of you that the book is now in Malaysia and it is in my safe hand. It will be in my TBR list and will update the journal soon after I've finished reading. :)