The Dragon Lord

by Peter Morwood | Romance |
Registered by PDB11 of Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on 6/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Thursday, June 11, 2009
I saw this in a charity shop the other day, and bought it because I thought I remembered The Horse Lord,

Now that I've read this book, I'm pretty sure I never did read The Horse Lord, but probably gave it away. I had mixed feelings about this book: on the one hand it was gripping enough to keep me reading, even if only in small doses; and it has some wonderful turns of phrase and one-liners. On the other hand there was far too much violence (although surprisingly little sex), and I don't think the plot came across well.

The presence of a wizard called Gemmel made me wonder whether his name was a reference to the fantasist David Gemmel. Once the character Aiyyan appeared, I was almost certain. (It's meant to be obvious who Aiyyan is - the quotes from her stories are blatant, even though I've only got a positive identification of one of them. But I wonder whether the picture on page 246 was drawn from life!)

If you find this book and are feeling really keen, you may like to try identifying the quotations on page 216. One I think I know, and I have a feeling I ought to recognise at least two others...

(The two at the top of page 244 are easier, since he even throws in the title of the book)

Finally, Morwood has included some of his own illustrations. Competently drawn, but neither artistic nor illuminating - he would better have left them out.

Journal Entry 2 by PDB11 at on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (7/12/2009 UTC) at

Under the steps from the tram stop down to the junction of Station Road and Trent Street there is a nice place to tuck the book in, out of sight of the surveillance camera.

Journal Entry 3 by Mark-Brain on Saturday, August 15, 2009