Olive Kitteridge: Fiction

by Elizabeth Strout | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Aberpeter of Kirkland, Washington USA on 5/10/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, May 10, 2009
from the back of the book:
"At times stern, at other times patient, at times perceptive, at other times in sad denial, Olive Kitteridge, a retired schoolteacher, deplores the changes in her little town of Crosby, Maine, and in the world at large, but she doesn't always recognize the changes in those around her: a lounge musician haunted by a past romance; a former student who has lost the will to live; Olive's own adult child, who feels tyrannized by her irrational sensitivities; and her husband, Henry, who finds his loyalty to his marriage both a blessing and a curse. As the townspeople grapple with their problems, mild and dire, Olive is brought to a deeper understanding of herself and her life - sometimes painfully, but always with ruthless honesty. Olive Kitteridge offers profound insights into the human condition - it's conflicts, its tragedies and joys, and the endurance it requires."

Journal Entry 2 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, May 16, 2009
Olive is a very complex person with a hard exterior and a short fuse. Elizabeth Strout slowly unveils Olive's multi-layered personality through vignettes of Crosby, Maine. We meet various people in the community and Olive is woven into each of their tales. Just when you think you have Olive figured out, another layer of her personality is revealed, adding to her overall character. Olive is someone every reader should spend a little time with.

Journal Entry 3 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, May 22, 2009
Thank you for participating in this bookring. Rules are pretty simple.
1. Journal when you receive the book.
2. Journal your thoughts after you read the book.
3. Journal when you mail the book to the next participant.
4. Please try to move the book on within a month. If life happens and you are not able to move the book along in a reasonable amount of time, pm me so that I know what is going on. Please be considerate of the other participants waiting to read the books.

Shipping order:

dabercro
jeskawest
ladilee24
perryfran
kiptrix
aberpeter

Journal Entry 4 by Aberpeter at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA on Friday, May 22, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (5/23/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA

I will be handing the book to dabercro when I see her this weekend.

Journal Entry 5 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Saturday, May 30, 2009
Received the book last weekend and have started reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Thursday, June 4, 2009
What an interesting way to get to know a character. The book is composed of 13 vignettes of people in Crosby, Maine. In some of the stories Olive is the main character, in some she is a "supporting" character and yet in others she is barely mentioned. I must admit, some of the vignettes left me wanting to know "the rest of the story" and have the makings of a novel of their own.

Thanks Aberpeter for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 7 by dabercro at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, June 4, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (6/4/2009 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to the next participant, jeskawest, in WA.

Journal Entry 8 by jeskawest from Long Beach, California USA on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Just got this book in the mail. I am really excited about reading it. It may take me a week or two to get to it, but I'll read it soon and have it off to the next person!!

Journal Entry 9 by jeskawest from Long Beach, California USA on Saturday, June 27, 2009
I loved this book. It reminded me of Gilead, for some reason, just the way the stories are told. The language used by the author feels calming somehow, even when the story is not necessarily so. Telling us about Olive through the short stories leaves me wanting more - it is an interesting tactic, allowing the reader to fill in the stories between the stories. I will definitely be looking for more books by Strout from now on.

Journal Entry 10 by jeskawest at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, June 29, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (6/29/2009 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Finally got this in the mail today - on its way to ladilee24.

Journal Entry 11 by ladilee24 from Newark, Delaware USA on Thursday, July 2, 2009
This just arrived in today's mail. With all the good reviews I've heard, I am looking forward to this book and will start it soon - in the midst of two others right now.

Journal Entry 12 by ladilee24 from Newark, Delaware USA on Saturday, July 11, 2009
After reading all the short stories, I want to know more about the people in this town. Several of the stories, as other readers noted, could unfold into their own novels. I know Olive will stay with me, human and flawed, sometimes offensive and sometimes kind, but always real. I also really like the interview with both the author and Olive at the end of the book. Good stuff.

Thanks so much for including me in the ring. Mailing this on to perryfran later this morning.

Journal Entry 13 by ladilee24 at on Saturday, July 11, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (7/11/2009 UTC) at

Mailing out to continue the ring. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 14 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, July 13, 2009
Received in today's mail. Thanks! I have a few rings in front of this (they always come in bunches) but I will try to get to this soon.

Journal Entry 15 by wingperryfranwing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 10, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (8/10/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I have a few other rings I need to read so rather than hold this up - I'm passing it on to kiptrix. I may find another copy of this to read at a later date.

Journal Entry 16 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Thursday, August 13, 2009
This book arrived in today's mail. I hope to be able to start it soon. I'm in the middle of another right now, and on Tuesday, 8/18, I'll be having a knee replacement. I should only be in the hospital for a few days, and I'll have plenty of time to read, since I won't be able to drive for some time. So thanks for including me in the ring. Will I be sending the book back to you, Aberpeter?

Journal Entry 17 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Friday, November 13, 2009
I enjoyed this book very much. An interesting approach, telling other people's stories with a little bit or a lot of Olive thrown in. Quite a complex character. It made for an interesting book group discussion.

The book has been mailed back to Aberpeter. Thank you for starting the bookring. Sorry to have kept it so long. I didn't realize how long it would be before I could concentrate on a book after my surgery--those drugs!

Journal Entry 18 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
the book is back home. Thank you everyone for participating in the ring and sharing your thoughts.

Journal Entry 19 by Aberpeter at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA on Saturday, March 6, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/6/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA

I included the book in the TBR VBB - now the book is being mailed to 300dogs. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 20 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Saturday, March 13, 2010
Arrived safely yesterday in New Jersey along with lots of rain. I'm looking forward to reading this-thanks Aberpeter!

Journal Entry 21 by 300dogs at Jackson, New Jersey USA on Friday, September 3, 2010
I'm a bit behind in making this journal entry. I read this three months ago as part of Plum-crazy's "Can't decide what to read?...Let Plum help" thread. Plum-crazy comes up with a theme and you pick a book from your TBR shelf that fits the description. Back in May/June, the theme was books with food or drink in the title. This book works with "olive" in the title and "trout" for the author.

I enjoyed this book. Getting to know Olive and her family, neighbors and community members thru the various stories was a unique idea. I liked how each was linked back to Olive.

Thank you Aberpeter for sending this book to me and thanks also to Plum-crazy for helping to lessen the TBR pile. Sometimes the decsion of "what to read next" can be overwhelming...you made it easy. Woo-hoo. I will reserve this book to fulfill a wishlist request once it is up and running again.

Journal Entry 22 by 300dogs at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (9/7/2010 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out today as a RABCK to pinklady60 in California. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Thank you so much, for sending this book to me as an RABCK, 300dogs. I've really been wanting to read it. It was discussed at my Breakfast and Books meeting several months ago, and it's a pick for my book club later this year, so your timing was perfect!

Journal Entry 24 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, October 21, 2010
Thirteen related short stories about Olive and her immediate family and friends living in a small town on the coast of Maine. Olive, looked at through the eyes of her acquaintances, is a complicated woman - - ferocious, kind, cruel, compassionate, immature. Her character develops throughout the stories and as she ages, so by the end of the book I felt I understood the different layers to her personality.

One of my favorite passages:

“What young people didn’t know, she thought, lying down beside this man, his hand on her shoulder, her arm; oh, what young people did not know. They did not know that lumpy, aged, and wrinkled bodies were as needy as their own young, firm ones, that love was not to be tossed away carelessly....”

Journal Entry 25 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Monday, October 25, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (10/25/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Sent to oppem in Oregon as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 26 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Saturday, October 30, 2010
Book arrived in todays post - many thanks.
The Reluctant Fundermentalist is winging its way to you as I write - hope you enjoy it & I will look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 27 by wingelizardbreathwing at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Thursday, July 5, 2012
Oppem, the Bookcrosser who previously journalled this book, passed away on June 23, 2012. I had the privilege of meeting her dear family and "catching" her large collection of registered books. I will be releasing this one soon.

Released 9 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at A Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to ciloma, who has this on her wishlist. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 29 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Sunday, July 15, 2012
This book was one of many I received in the mail. Thanx a bunch!!