The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing -- JOIN THIS BOOKRAY!

by Melissa Bank | Women's Fiction |
Registered by pgsahm of Disputanta, Virginia USA on 5/31/2003
Journal Entry 1 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 31, 2003
Picked this up at a yard sale today. Paperback copy.

What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

LaurieS (New Hampshire)
solimano (Italy)
sejent (Kentucky)
mellion108 (Michigan)
kbgoffe (Oregon) (will ship int'l)
JPandJo (Massachusetts)
Jackie700 (New York)
luvfool
suzyruth (South Carolina)

Mom-of-one (Pennsylvania)

Journal Entry 2 by pgsahm at on Sunday, June 8, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Starting the book! ENJOY!

Journal Entry 3 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 15, 2003
I received the book in yesterdays mail and will be begin it as soon as I finish up the book I'm currently reading. It looks like an entertaining read. Thanks so much for putting me first!!

Journal Entry 4 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 22, 2003

I liked the overall format of this book and enjoyed the way each separate story stands alone while coming together as whole (with the exception of one where the point of view switches to the neighbors ~ this one threw me for a few pages!). The stories were interesting little slice of life pieces laced with humor and sorrow. It was a very quick read for me and I’m a terribly slow reader. I clicked with Jane immediately when she’s first introduced as a witty and observant teenager. When she ponders, “Why is everything I want to know wrong?” I had to laugh out loud because, being the nosey sort that I am, I’ve asked this question myself numerous times. Each story took an interesting look at relationships and even though Jane runs in a world much different than the one I inhabit, I enjoyed watching her mature and stumble her way through all sorts of different relationships (family, friends, lovers) and career woes. Her bluntness and wicked sense of humor kept me turning the pages even when she embarked on the hopeless romance (that gave me a bad case of the creeps) found in the chapter entitled “My Old Man”. I’ve read a review or two complaining about the last chapter but I enjoyed it, even as it exasperated me and tried my patience! I felt it brought the book to a pleasant, uplifting conclusion and it felt very true to life. I’d definitely read this author again. Thanks again for sharing! I’m mailing to Italy today.

Journal Entry 5 by solimano from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Friday, June 27, 2003
The book is now in Florence. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by solimano from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Friday, July 4, 2003
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. This was an easy read but not the laugh out loud book that I was expecting. I didn't even chuckle. However, it was good for a pleasent afternoon of escape.

It's on its way towards Louisville (US).

Journal Entry 7 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, July 10, 2003
Received in today's mail...will start reading soon and will journal again when I have finished.

Journal Entry 8 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, August 17, 2003
I enjoyed the book and thought the format was very interesting.

Sending to mellion108 in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

Journal Entry 9 by mellion108 from Waterford, Michigan USA on Wednesday, September 3, 2003
Thanks for sending this along, sejent, and thank you pgsahm for making it available.

I just got this in the mail today. I'm currently trying to read through a very, very large book for another ray. Once I finish that one, I'll finish this one and send it on its way.

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 from Waterford, Michigan USA on Sunday, September 14, 2003
UPDATE: I finished this book and mailed it out to JPandJo on 09/10/03.

For the most part, I liked the book. I didn't realize that this was a collection of short stories when I first got the book. The stories jump in time, and all but one are written from Jane's point of view. There is one story in the book that is written about the downstairs neighbors of Jane's beloved aunt. That one really felt out of place to me, and I kept expecting more of that story to enter into the rest of the book. While I would not declare this book to be spectacular, it is charming and witty, and I enjoyed it. It's one of those books that you can easily finish off in an evening or on a trip. Jane's darkly humorous way of looking at things and her word play make this a fun read.

However, I do have to say that Jane has a wonderfully self-destructive way of choosing the worst possible men for herself!

Journal Entry 11 by GirlieGoalie from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 18, 2003
Yikes! I checked my mail and found many bookray/ring books at once.

I’ll get started on these but it may take a bit, my home improvement project from the last year is coming to a rapid close at the same time.

Journal Entry 12 by GirlieGoalie from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 6, 2003
I was not expecting the format of the book but I really liked it. Instead of focusing on one time in the main characters life it follows most of her life.

Mailing this today to Jacki700, Mom-of-One asked to be moved to the bottom of the list.

Journal Entry 13 by wingJackie700wing from Garnerville, New York USA on Wednesday, October 8, 2003
I received this book in the mail today...thanks, Johanna! I will read as soon as I finish my current book (The Secret Life of Bees), and will then continue the bookray.

Journal Entry 14 by wingJackie700wing from Garnerville, New York USA on Monday, October 27, 2003
Disappointing.....a Bridget Jones wannabe!
As soon as I hear from Luvfool, I'll put it in the mail.

Journal Entry 15 by wingJackie700wing at Postal release in Garnerville, New York USA on Saturday, November 15, 2003
Released on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at Postal release in Garnerville, New York USA.

Mailed to suzyruth around Noon

Journal Entry 16 by suzyruth from Whitmire, South Carolina USA on Saturday, November 22, 2003
Received the book in the mail on Thursday...plan to read it this weekend...between bouts of preparing for Thanksgiving guests.

Journal Entry 17 by suzyruth at Lynwood Neighborhood in Central, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Released on Monday, June 14, 2004 at Lynwood in Central, South Carolina USA.

Released to my daughter & her housemates in June 2004...now July 2006, I have reconfiscated this book from my daughter's house in Stone Mountain , GA. I have pmed mom-of-one to see if she is ready to receive it next.