Why Cats Paint

by Heather Busch | Children's Books |
Registered by 16stepper of Gilbert, Arizona USA on 5/16/2003
Journal Entry 1 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Friday, May 16, 2003
Very funny book. I can't tell if it's for real or just a total fabrication. Either way, it's wonderful!

The final mailing order for this bookring is:

kalipriestess (FL)
kayters (GA)
hulamonkey (OH)
cyber-librarian (IL)
bug007 (MN)
curtangel (OK)
SalDragski (TX)
ladyofunicorns (NM)<--- in transit to?
caligula03 (CA)
back to me
solimano (Italy)

The book will be mailed out the week of June 1st. Enjoy everyone!

Journal Entry 2 by kalipriestess from Tallahassee, Florida USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003
I got this book today and I've already started reading it. It's adorable! A completely endearing spoof of modern art, and still I find myself wanting to give MY cats paint! I think I especially like it because I have a B.A. in Art History (as well as two cats that own ME). Thank you for this bookring 16stepper!! This will go to kayters in GA when I'm done (which should be soon!). This is the first book I've rated a 10!

Journal Entry 3 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, August 23, 2003
I have made several attempts to contact Kalipriestess about this book. In July, she said she was still reading the book. She has not answered my PMs in August. If I do not hear from her in a few weeks, I will try to find another copy of the book and re-start the bookray at kayters.

Journal Entry 4 by kalipriestess from Tallahassee, Florida USA on Saturday, August 23, 2003
My apologies!!! My illnesses in combo with spotty internet access has made me difficult to reach. I'll send it out by the end of the week. :)

Journal Entry 5 by kalipriestess at Bookring/ray in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, September 9, 2003
Released on Monday, September 08, 2003 at Bookring/ray in USPS, postal release USA.

Sent on to kayters (finally!)!! So sorry to everyone for the delay!! The envelope I got it in was so cute I had to re-use it! ;)

Journal Entry 6 by kayters from Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 13, 2003
Will read and release to next person quickly - at the expense of my other bookrays and rings, but this one looks like it will be a quick read, so I hate to hold it! :)

Journal Entry 7 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2004
I PM'd kayters about this book back in December. She still has it and is planning to read it and pass on quickly now.

Journal Entry 8 by kayters at on Monday, April 5, 2004
Release planned for Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at Hulamonkey in Newark, Ohio Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 9 by hulamonkey from Newark, Ohio USA on Friday, April 9, 2004
The book arrived today!

I'm not sure if I can get Warren the WonderCat to paint for me while I take a picture of him (artists have been known to be temperamental at times and added with a cat attitude who knows what will happen!)

I should be finished with the book I'm currently reading soon and then I'll start on this one. :) Looking forward to it! :)

**Picture: Warren the WonderCat. He was only 4 months old at the time and we had only had him for about a month. He walked up to me with the inkpen, and I could only guess that he wanted to write the shelter we adopted him from to tell them how happy and loved (and spoiled) he was by his new parents.

I'm guessing that if he could hold an inkpen at such an early age, then painting should be NO PROBLEM for him!

Journal Entry 10 by hulamonkey from Newark, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 24, 2004
Thanks 16stepper for sharing this book. I really enjoyed it and my husband was even interested in it enough to look at the pictures. Anytime he picks up a book that is not required reading for a class or a textbook it's simply amazing.

Warren the WonderCat doesn't like paint- maybe he thinks it's too messy? Oh well, for his creative outlet he'll just have to stick with the computer and print his masterpieces out.

April 28th
Mailed book out to cyber-librarian.

Journal Entry 11 by ReadingGal79 from Antioch, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 4, 2004
I received this in the mail yesterday from hulamonkey in OH ... as part of the bookring. I have been swamped with quite a few in my possession this past month ... and I'm reading them and passing them on as quickly as I can. You can check for updates on my profile. Thank you for your patience.

c. 1994 -- 95 pages -- Trade Paperback -- A theory of feline aesthetics -- also by Burton Silver

Cover Flaps: The fact that some domestic cats are able to make marks with paint has always been explained by biologists as an instinctive form of territorial marking behavior. Now, this book presents a cogently argued theory based on recent evidence which clearly supports the view that some cats' marks are aesthetically motivated and should be regarded as genuine works of non-primate art.

As well as being an unpresedented photographic record of the artistic cat at work, this book also explains many aspects of everyday cat behavior for the first time. Why do cats sit for long periods in self-absorbed reflection? Why do they purr? What is happening when they suddenly rush madly about? And why do they lie on their backs and look at things upside down? All these questions, and more, are now able to be answered within the very understandable context of art.

In this lavishly illustrated and thoroughly researched book, Heather Busch and Burton Silver outline the many different aspects of feline creativity and offer a detailed examination of representative works from the best-known cat artists around the world.

Journal Entry 12 by ReadingGal79 from Antioch, Illinois USA on Saturday, June 26, 2004
I finished reading this on 6/24. I PMed bug007 this morning. It was short so I was able to squeeze it in among some other bookrings I have right now. My daughters experimented with our cats painting once. I wanted to upload the picture of one, but our scanner isn't hooked up at the moment. This was an interesting and fascinating read. It makes me wonder all the more what goes on in the minds of cats. Both of my daughters enjoyed the pictures in the book.

Released on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

I'm mailing this today to bug007 in MN ... as part of the bookring.
DC#0303-3430-0000-2659-1171 - Delivered on 6/30

Journal Entry 14 by Bug007 from Duluth, Minnesota USA on Thursday, July 8, 2004
Very fun book. My husband and I are crazy enough to let our cats try it. lol

Journal Entry 15 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Monday, November 8, 2004
Just received today. Will read next.

Journal Entry 16 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Sunday, November 14, 2004
I read this in one sitting. At first I thought "Get Real!" but then it became somewhat interesting and funny too! The hype of interpreting these painting was a little too much though. Will mail out to ladyofunicorns this week.

Journal Entry 17 by lostbookisland on Saturday, November 5, 2005
This book has managed to drag up on the shores of the Lost Book Island. It seems to have taken many detours along the way. It has been almost 1 year since it was last heard from in a journal entry and it seems to indeed be lost and unmoving in its intended bookray path.

We will allow this book to sit and enjoy the Lost Book Island Resort hospitality for as long as it takes to get a new journal entry. One that will tell all that are interested in this books journey where it has been these many long months and when it will be able to move along once again. It is hoped that a little rest and relaxation in this land of fun and sun will be just what this book needs.

Journal Entry 18 by ladyofunicorns at Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2011
I received this a long time ago. I can't even say when. Don't know why it did not get journalled. I have read it and enjoyed it very much. I don't see why cats can't paint. Heck, elephants do! I almost want to try this on my cat but I am too afraid she would love it too much and make a mess in the apartment lol.

I contacted caligula03 who says she is not doing anymore bookrings so I tried to contact 16stepper to get her address but never heard back and that was back in January. I will try again because it was supposed to go back to her since it is her bookring....