I'm Not Scared

by Niccolò ammaniti | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781841954424 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingshnedwardswing of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 1/26/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, January 26, 2009
One relentlessly hot summer, six children explore the scorched wheat fields that enclose their tiny community in the Italian countryside. But when the gang chances on a dilapidated and uninhabited farmhouse, nine-year-old Michele Amitrano makes a discovery so momentous he dare not tell anyone about it.

Dazed and Confused magazine describes this as To Kill a Mockingbird reworked by Takeshi Miike (Audition, Ichi the Killer).

This book packs quite a punch. It manages to be a proper, page-turning thriller while at the same time evoking all the preoccupations of childhood. I will definitely look out for more by this author.

Bookray time! I challenge you to even try to put this one down.

Mailing order (subject to change):

Jozebedee (UK)
Caroley (UK)
Fifna (Netherlands) <---here
jellyfish67 (UK)

Bookray now CLOSED to new participants for the time being.

Journal Entry 2 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 31, 2009
On its way to fushmush. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 5, 2009
It's arrived and it's brand spanking new. I have 3.5 bookrays ahead of it. Should get to it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
I'm disappointed. I'm going to have to send this one on without reading it. I've been totally swamped in bookrays and life has been very busy. I'm now going on holidays for a month or so and I don't feel that I can really delay this ray any longer.

The ones that get away make me sad. Until another time little book!

Journal Entry 5 by fushmush at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 5, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/5/2009 UTC) at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the next bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 6 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Thanks fushmush it's arrived and thanks Shnedwards for starting this ray. I've received a few rings/rays over the last couple of days but will read this very soon.

EDIT: 17 April - Finished while on a chill out holiday on Lake Como. A brilliant novel about how a nine year old boy compehends and reacts to an amazingly disturbing discovery followed by the circumstances around it.

Thanks again Shnedwards; I've passed this onto KT-J now who will at it to her increasing TBR pile.

NEXT: Elfriede Jelinek - The Piano Teacher

Journal Entry 7 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, April 20, 2009
Thanks Stubee. I'd like to point out my TBR pile isn't that big once I finally finish Don Quixote which seems to have taken me a million years to read!!

I'll be starting this shortly.

Journal Entry 8 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, April 27, 2009
Wow, I started this on the train from Manchester and had almost finished it by the time I reached Oxford on Friday night! It was a real thriller that kept you wanting to find out what happens next, but the way it is written through Michele's eyes brings in all the thoughts of a child and portrays all the elements of childhood, trying to comprehend the actions of adults, the thought processes behind actions, the way they view everything so much more simply than adults.

This was a great book, thanks shnedwards for sharing this. I've PMd Winterson so will send this on once I have an address.

Edit 8/5/09: Apologies for the delay but this was posted to Winterson today - enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by Winterson from Peacehaven , East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Received safe and well yesterday. Have started it already and so far so good. Thanks :)

Journal Entry 10 by Winterson from Peacehaven , East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Enjoyed this but not as much as I had hoped. It's a good story but the writing just didn't grab me. Maybe something got lost in the translation or I was just expecting too much with all the hype on the cover?
I'm glad I read it but it's not a keeper. Will send on as soon as I have the addy. Thanks for including me in this :)

Journal Entry 11 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 18, 2009
Received in the post today.
Thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by jubby at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 20, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Wow! I loved this book. Poor FushMush, you don't know what you've missed out on!
Now, I am rushing, and will return and journal properly later, but how did you go reading this in Italy Stubee? You must have been looking over your shoulder the whole time.

Just an incredible read. Thank you so much for sharing this book with me Shnedwards. In the process of tracking down the film now.

Journal Entry 13 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Safely caught today. Thank you all.

Journal Entry 14 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, August 15, 2009
I've just finished book, having read it from the beginning to the end without being able to stop. It's such a well-structured book, and, to me, very insightful.
The author employs a role reversal, where parents do not protect children and it is the child who is forced to make moral decisions. In doing this, Ammaniti demonstrates that it is not simply a matter of age but more an essential character trait that helps determine the right path. The simple, childish phrase, "I'm not scared", offers profound hope for conquering fears that obstruct true moral development.
That's a cryptic comment, I know, but I don't feel the need to comment on the plot.

Thanks, shnedwards, for sharing. I will pass the book along once I have the next addy.

Journal Entry 15 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"I'm not Scared" has arrived in Canberra.

It's very tempting to start this straight away, but it better go on the smallish pile of bookrings that have all arrived this month.

Thanks to livrecache for sending it on and everyone else before her that did the same :-)

Journal Entry 16 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Paperback.
225 pages. Read 25-26 August 2009.

This is a compelling read! I didn't quite read it in one sitting, but I did get more then halfway through, page 166 from memory, before I had to go to sleep. Then finished it last night.

Very interesting perspective of a childs view of a terrible crime. The perspective reminded me a bit of "To kill a mocking bird" and "The boy in the striped PJs".

Another good one from the 1001 list, that I would never have discovered if not for bookcrossing and the list.

Thanks to shnedwards for sharing your book and to everyone else who passed it on before me.

It will be in the mail today to bookseekerAT, as soon as I find a bookbaggie under the mess in my study.

:-)

Journal Entry 17 by bookseekerAT from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 7, 2009
Just started this one last night, and finished it today, squeezing it in around work and family commitments (admittedly I took a longer than usual lunch break today so I could continue devouring). A fascinating and very gripping story - there were goosebumps, gasps and gripping moments. I agree with freepages about the echoes of Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Another book that I would never have discovered without bookcrossing - so thanks again to shnedwards for the bookray and freepages for sending (and I love the Canberra postcard!).

Will be sending it on its way as soon as I have an address for next reader.

Journal Entry 18 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Thursday, October 8, 2009
Sorry it took me a couple of days to get on here. I have been sick and in bed!
I have one in front of this, and then I will start on it! So excited!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
It started off kind of slow. I have seen the movie, but it's been a while. Surprisingly, I think I liked the movie more than the book, but that's because of the ending. It was sort of left in the air, and I wanted to see how everyone would react to what happened.

ONce I got into the book it started getting really good and I finished it in one morning. Thanks for sharing the book with us!

Journal Entry 20 by sarkiegirl at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (10/20/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA

sent to TwiggySC1973! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by TwiggySC1973 from Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 22, 2009
Received in the mail today.

Journal Entry 22 by TwiggySC1973 from Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Sunday, November 15, 2009
WOW, I absolutely loved this book. What a great story although it had me very emotional at the end. I *sobbed*. I'm not sure I could watch the movie though, but understand why they made it into one. Thanks for sharing such a great read!

Journal Entry 23 by TwiggySC1973 from Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, November 17, 2009
On it's way to WV via media mail to ealasaidmae.

Journal Entry 24 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Sunday, November 22, 2009
came in the mail yesterday

Journal Entry 25 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Friday, November 27, 2009
This was not what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised - if pleasant is the right word for such a disturbing book. I've already recommended it to someone else.

Journal Entry 26 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Friday, November 27, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (11/27/2009 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

on its way to spoiledrotten

Journal Entry 27 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Monday, November 30, 2009
Received in the mail today. Please be patient as I have 2 books in front of this one and the Holidays are quickly approaching!! Thanks so much for sending and including me.

Journal Entry 28 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 12, 2009

I did enjoy this book very much. I too agree with the similarities to The Boy in the Striped Pajaymas. I have perryfrans address and will mail out next week. Thanks again for including me and Happy Holidays.

Journal Entry 29 by spoiledrotten at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (12/15/2009 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

This was sent out to perryfran to continue its journey. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Journal Entry 30 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Received today from spoiledrotten. Thanks shnedwards for sharing this one. I have over 3 rings in front of this but hope to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 31 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Very compelling read. Told from the point of view of a 9-year old boy, this one really grabs you from the onset and doesn't let go. It's hard to review this without giving away the story but I highly recommend this great thriller which delves into the struggles of childhood morality and the sometimes unsavory situations that children face along the road to maturity.

This is No. 960 on the 2008 edition of 1001 books you must read before you die list.

This was also made into a film in Italy that has received some good reviews. I put it on my list from Netflix...

Thanks shnedwards for sharing this one. I will be sending on to fushmush as soon as I receive an address. I PMed a few days ago.

Edit: fushmush asked to be skipped - will contact next in line.

Journal Entry 32 by wingperryfranwing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 1, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/1/2010 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to pinkydinky in Wiltshire, UK to continue this ring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 33 by pinkydinky on Sunday, January 10, 2010
Arrived safely. Will read when I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 34 by pinkydinky on Sunday, January 24, 2010
There is not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I loved this book and found it hard to put down. Would heartily recommend to anyone.

Wigglywoods and Jozebedee have asked to be skipped. I have Caroley's address and will send on a.s.a.p.

Journal Entry 35 by pinkydinky on Monday, January 25, 2010
Posted to Caroley today.

Journal Entry 36 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Received today thanks. I have a library book to read first but should get to this one very soon.

Journal Entry 37 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 6, 2010
As promised, I could not put this book down. I read it in one sitting last night and loved it. Full of suspense and tension. You know what you'd do yourself in that situation but seeing it through the eyes of Michele is a completely different matter. Brilliant!

Thanks so much for sharing this one shnedwards.

I've PMd Fifna for an address and hope to get the book moving again asap.

Journal Entry 38 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/9/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted airmail to Fifna

Journal Entry 39 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Arrived safely today with a lovely card, thank you Caroley!

Journal Entry 40 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 6, 2010
A gripping story. It's fascinating to see this story from the point of view of the nine-year-old. What would you have done at that age? Was there anything he could have done? I also agree with the previous readers' comments that it has something of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in it, although that one really bowled me over, whereas this one just gripped me and kept me reading.
Thansk you for sharing, shnedwards, I will now PM the next reader.

Journal Entry 41 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 4, 2011
A book that has been looking at me from the bookshelf in the shops! Great when you come across it at bookcrossing.

Read it, pretty much in one go. Very gripping story and the way it was written from the boys point of view made it very interesting.

Journal Entry 42 by marsala at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (10/30/2012 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Tag! I hope you enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 43 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much marsala for this Wishlist Tag book! I've read some great reviews of it lately, so it's wonderful (in a way that only BookCrossers know of) to see it pop out of the blue in my mailbox! And speaking of magic, I know there must be a secret behind a book read by at least 18 people, travelling all over the world and still in tip-top shape!

Journal Entry 44 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, December 3, 2012
An incredible book. I loved the unexpected perspective Michele provided. Another must-read loss of innocence story, gripping you with intense action, profound themes and surprising background.

Next stop: J4Shaw (what a great reading incentive the Wishlist Tag games turn out to be!)

Journal Entry 45 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (1/30/2013 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

On the road again, to J4Shaw down under! Happy reading everyone, and thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 46 by wingJ4Shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Well this book sure took its time, but it has arrived! Safe and sound in Northern Territory Australia!
Myself and lamelemon had given up on this ever surfacing, but alas the tag book from 22/11/2012 from the NEW Wishlist Tag Game is here!

Thank you also for the Romanian card - which truly now is very late for Christmas!

Journal Entry 47 by wingJ4Shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Saturday, February 28, 2015

I read this book for the 666 for 2015 - An Around the World Reading Challenge as the author is Italian, so I am counting it as one of my Europe reads.

Really loving this challenge, and it is pushing me to clear some books off my TBR pile that I should have read and got moving again a long time ago.

MY REVIEW
The tale of nine-year-old Michele Amitrano who accidently makes a discovery that he doesn't dare tell a soul.
This book was so well put together, you could feel the Italian humid and cloudy summer weather, and although the book has been translated into English, I could imagine the shouts in the streets being in Italian.
I thought this was a very thought provoking novel, I was with Michele all the way, almost trying to be the 'good voice' on his shoulder, urging him to do the right thing.
What a brilliant novel about a boy's shattering of innocence.

Journal Entry 48 by wingJ4Shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (3/11/2015 UTC) at Bayles, Victoria Australia

This is off in a BookBag for the March 2015 Templestow Meet-up that I am unable to attend.

Released 4 yrs ago (9/5/2017 UTC) at --- Wild Released Somewhere In Melbourne in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Off to the book swap for Indigenous Literacy Day at 500 Bourke St.