Bill's New Frock

by Anne Fine | Children's Books |
ISBN: 140520060x Global Overview for this book
Registered by PDB11 of Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on 12/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, December 6, 2008
One local charity shop has a perpetual 3 for 2 offer on books, so I bring home the oddest stuff!

I picked this up and decided to read it for light relief. It was a quick read, and very amusing. The blurb on the back cover sums it up pretty well:

"Bill Simpson wakes up to find he's a girl, and, worse, his mother makes him wear a frilly pink dress to school. How on earth is he going to survive a whole day like this? Everything just seems to be different for girls..."

Anne Fine hasn't looked very deeply at the issues, but she's been very clever in writing the story. It is all told from Bill's point of view, and he is always "Bill" or "he" even while he's female. But no other character uses his name, or even a gender-specific pronoun, to refer to him. It's always "you" or a passive - giving the feeling that everyone senses that something's wrong, and maybe if they came out and called Bill "she" the scenario would collapse. Or perhaps he'd be stuck that way...

I hope this book causes children to think a bit about "how the other half lives", as it were.

For release.

Journal Entry 2 by PDB11 at Covent Garden tube station in Covent Garden, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, December 13, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (12/12/2008 UTC) at Covent Garden tube station in Covent Garden, Greater London United Kingdom

For a station where the tube is served by very deep lifts, there were an awful lot of people using the stairs. Most of them were coming up, too!

I managed to find a calm space about half way down to tuck the book behind an electric cable on the central pillar.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, December 21, 2008
bookcrossing... what a great idea!!! unfortunately this booked lacked substance but better luck next time. I am hopefully sending it on a trip to australia!!!

CAUGHT IN LONDON UK ENGLAND