Lost Boy, Lost Girl: A Novel

by Peter Straub | Horror |
Registered by samulli of Weimar, Thüringen Germany on 9/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, September 11, 2008
It's quite a good thriller, although personally I didn't find it as scary as advertised. But then, I rarely do.

Goes out as a bookray, if there are enough people interested.

mrbaggins1 (South Africa)
Bookworm-lady (Spain)
...

Journal Entry 2 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, October 30, 2008
The book is on its way to South Africa.

Journal Entry 3 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, November 10, 2008
Thank you samulli, received the book through the post today. I'll read it as soon as possible and will then forward it to bookworm-lady in Spain

Journal Entry 4 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, November 17, 2008
Got this from samuli. A quick read, not as good as the other books of Straub I've read. Have PM'd Bookworm-lady in Spain for her address so I can move this on.

Journal Entry 5 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (11/19/2008 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Control releasing this by post today to Bookworm-lady in Spain after this book had a short sojourn in South Africa. It's now on the way back to Europe

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, December 13, 2008
Thank you, MrBaggins1, what a nice surprise!
I took a while to register it, because I had to pick it up from the post office.
I love the children's books, the postcard, the bookmarks... ah, and the lovely tea, which I will enjoy!
How generous of you, thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
And thanks for sharing, Samulli!
Looking forward to reading it...
Eva

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, June 18, 2009
I am currently reading it; as I am the last one in the mini-bookray, I will probably send it as a RABCK (I will check WishLists...)
Thanks for sharing!
Eva

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
I have finished reading it; well, it is not really a horror novel, but a very well written piece with a touch of the supernatural, a serial killer, a haunted house...

I loved the main characters, particularly the very handsome Mark and his "sidekick"; here goes a quote, showing their type of dialogue:
"Stuff like that doesn't happen. Parts of people aren't `left behind'. The only person who sees dead people is Haley Joely Osmond, or whatever his name is."
"Joel Haley Osmond", Mark said, thinking that did not sound quite right, either. "Only, you're wrong. A lot of people see dead people _the part left behind. Don't you think? A friend of yours dies, and one day you're walking down the street and you look in a window and just for a second you see him in there. The next day, maybe you see him getting on a bus, or walking across a bridge. That's the part of him that's left behind."

Note: It's Haley Joel Osment (see pic), poor him! :)

Very well written, with a very convincing family portrait and a lovable uncle (I think he is the main character in other Straub's books).

I didn't understand why it was so difficult for Tim Underhill to read his e-mails from a different computer...

Anyway, highly entertaining, and not disappointing.

Still, I disagree with Stephen King: "Ghost Story" is still Peter Straub's finest novel.

I will RABCK this book. Surprise, surprise!

Thanks for sharing!

Eva

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 20, 2009
Reserved for bookray to celebrate my 2000 forum posts!

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, September 3, 2009
Now a bookray (usual rules apply; I don't mind your keeping the book a little over a month, but please answer my PMs and let us know the status of the book...

1) Mafarrimond (Wales)
2) Mizuchy (Rumania)
3))Arturogrande (U.K.)
4) Dancesports (Australia)
5) Rrrcaron (U.S.A.)
6) LadyOfUnicorns (U.S.A.)(the book is here! BOOKRAY COMPLETED!)

Enjoy, and thanks for joining!

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (9/28/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent to Mafarrimond, who is first in this bookray, with a "little extra something".
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, October 9, 2009
Received in the post yesterday. Already started reading. Will hopefully send it on its way at the beginning of next week.

Journal Entry 13 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, October 10, 2009
The first novel I have read of Peter Straub's. Took a little while to get into but the plot gradually got me gripped and I was unable to put the book down towards the end.

Journal Entry 14 by mafarrimond at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, October 15, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (10/14/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Posted on to Mizuchy. Hope you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 15 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Thursday, November 19, 2009
Got it from the post a few days ago. There are two more bookrings to read before this one. So it might take a while, not too long though.

Journal Entry 16 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 16, 2010
Arrived - thanks very much. I'll try to get it read as soon as possible so I don't hold the ring up.

Journal Entry 17 by arturogrande at Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 25, 2010
I did enjoy this book, although I too think it was not as good as Ghost Story, which is far and away Straub's best. It was very well written, with the oppresive, evil atmosphere of the house very well drawn.
I think the ending was a littlke rushed, and there was a bit too much coincidence for my liking.
That said, I'm glad I read this book, and I'm sorry I've held onto it for much longer than I should have.
It's now on its way to Dancesports in Tasmania.

Journal Entry 18 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Monday, August 2, 2010
Book has arrived adding to my tbr pile which I had reduced to 5 but it has grown again this is hte 5th book that has arrived in the space of a week. Anyway I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 19 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Well, this book didn't take long to read once I started it - I read it over two days. I don't think I have read anything from this genre before so I am glad it wasn't too scary. It has tempted me to read others by this author. Thank you

Journal Entry 20 by Dancesports at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 3, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (10/1/2010 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 21 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010
Received this book in the mail today. Have a book in progress, but will get to this one soon!
Ruth

Journal Entry 22 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Sorry I held this book so long- working two jobs, reading time has lowerered immensely. I liked the book right up to the end. I wish the author had kept it going just a little bit longer, too many unanswered questions. Good, but I have read better by Straub. Contacting next reader....

Journal Entry 23 by ladyofunicorns at Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, February 8, 2011
I received this in the mail last night. I have just finished another bookcrossing book so I am actually able to start this today. I can't wait. Probably after dinner this evening. Thanks for sending it my way! I will make another entry when I am done.

Journal Entry 24 by ladyofunicorns at Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Saturday, February 12, 2011
I finished reading it and was not so thrilled with it. There were unanswered questions at the end. It wasn't tied up...more questions than answers. I enjoyed Ghost Story much much more than this one. This one was not really scary at all. Had no problems going to sleep at night after reading chapters. A scary book by Stephen King - Bag of Bones kept me up almost every night I read it...and if I did sleep with that one, the light was on.

I am making it available and probably will wild release it at some point. Is defnitely not a keeper...