The Nun

by Denis Diderot | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jare of Port Richey, Florida USA on 7/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, July 12, 2008
This was given to me for free from Penguin Classics on the condition that I read it and blog about it as quickly as possible. Will start this soon.

Journal Entry 2 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, August 4, 2008
This book was just amazing! I so rarely read classics, but am so glad I read this one! Very dark and dreary, it is the story of a young 18th century French girl forced to become a nun by her family, and her struggles with such. She decides to try and have her vows annulled, and suffers greatly at the hands of her superiors and peers because of it. Very engrossing, I just couldn't put it down.

Journal Entry 3 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008
This book is going on a little journey as a bookray! The shipping order is below.

Rules for the ray:

1) When you receive the book, make a journal entry so that we know it has arrived.
2) Try to read and send the book off within a month of receiving it. I know that sometimes life happens, but try your best to get it moving promptly.
3) When done, please contact the next person in line to get shipping info.
4) "Controlled release" notes are great!
5) Enjoy the book!

Participants/shipping order:

bookworm-lady - Spain
pell - Italy
nikel27 - Germany
tootshelling - Germany
jellyfish67 - UK (removed-not answering PMs)
miss-owl - Thailand
cat207 - Australia
Kplatypus - USA
Scoobs-buddy - USA
perryfran - USA
mrsordonez - USA
gillianne - USA <-- Bookray has successfully reached the end!!

Journal Entry 4 by jare at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 28, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (8/28/2008 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sending to Bookworm-lady today to start off the ray!

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, September 3, 2008
This book was waiting for me last evening, when I arrived home!
Thanks for sharing, Jare, and thanks for the lovely postcard as well.
Looking forward to reading it...
Eva

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, October 27, 2008
I am currently reading it, and have asked for Pell's address.
thanks for sharing!
Eva

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Oh, dear, this is really frightening!
A terrible portrait of women's life in past centuries, masterfully written and very well translated into English.
Even when Suzanne is released from her fate, things don't seem to look up for her.
A very good read, thanks for sharing!
Soon to be sent to Pell, in Italy.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 30, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/29/2008 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent last evening to Pell, in Italy.
Emjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Friday, November 7, 2008
Thank you Bookwormlady,book arrived today, thanks also for the lovely postcard, I do have another book that I have just started, but will be as quick as I can. I cant wait to read this, the journals are very exciting.

Journal Entry 10 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, December 13, 2008
I did enjoy this book althoughI found it quite depressing as there was a lot of moaning going on. I think life could have been a lot worse. I have pm d nickel27 for her address, with forward it when she replies.

Journal Entry 11 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, December 20, 2008
Sorry its taken me a while to get to the Post Office but posted today to Germany, hope you enjoy.

Journal Entry 12 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Thursday, January 1, 2009
arrived safe at my house,1 BookRing to read, before I can start here.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me.
(asked for the next members address)

Journal Entry 13 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 26, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/30/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 14 by tootshelling from Swarthmore, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Arrived today and just in time too. I have 'nothing' to read! (ha! that's a laugh but its always easier when you're 'told' what to read - lol!)

I'll get on it tonight after work.

Thanks again for sharing!

UPDATE - waiting for address of next in line

Journal Entry 15 by Miss-Owl on Monday, November 30, 2009
Safely with me! Thank you to tootshelling for sending on, and to Jare for the ray. I have two more 1001 books to read for my Set It Yourself challenge this month, and this slim little volume looks like it'll fit the bill nicely. Thank you!

Journal Entry 16 by Miss-Owl on Saturday, December 12, 2009
Reading this book is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Don't get me wrong - it's not entirely excruciating: in fact, the emotive vividness of the translation was singularly impressive - but Suzanne's feelings of helplessness and entrapment are so inescapably evoked that you can't help but be moved by the sheer vulnerability & utter lack of options for women deprived of family or any means of support in the eighteenth century. Yes, things could be worse, but if we withhold sympathy until we find the worst-case scenario then very few of us could escape unscathed.

Thank you for sharing this book, Jare - after being forced to choose a C16th, 17th or 18th course for my honours in English a while back I chose the most recent - the C18th, being something of a modernist; and, of course, hated it as a result. It says a lot for this little book that it's done a lot to reconcile me to an entire century!

Will send on when I've received Jare's instructions, as I've moved countries.

Journal Entry 17 by Miss-Owl at Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Thailand on Saturday, January 2, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/3/2010 UTC) at Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Thailand

Passing this on to my sister to courier back down to Oz for me. Thank you, Jare, for sharing this read!

Journal Entry 18 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you Miss-Owl, and Jare for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 24, 2010
Poor Suzanne. I think her life went from bad to worse.

Have PMed kplatypus for an address.

Journal Entry 20 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 24, 2010
Heading off to kplatypus in today's mail. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 21 by kplatypus at Kensington, California USA on Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Book arrived safely with me - the envelope was a bit torn up, so I think a curious mailman tried to sneak a read!

Will read and send on asap.

UPDATE: Finished this evening and just requested the next reader's address. Poor Suzanne indeed. An interesting, if in some ways stereotypical, account of convent life.

UPDATE: I attempted to mail this to perryfran a week or so ago, only to find that it was returned to me while I was away on vacation. Alas! I will try again tomorrow and hopefully it will be able to continue on its journey.

Journal Entry 22 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, July 19, 2010
Received in today's mail - thanks Jare for sharing and kplatypus for sending the book on to me. I just moved into a new house so things have been hectic and not much time for reading but I'll try to get to this soon.

Journal Entry 23 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2010
The Nun basically is a scathing criticism of religion. It's about a young girl forced into a convent by her mother and the church and her struggles to escape the life she did not want there. She is unsuccessful at escaping and is punished for trying. Quite an engrossing story for a novel from the 18th century.

Journal Entry 24 by wingperryfranwing at Fenton, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (7/28/2010 UTC) at Fenton, Missouri USA

Sending on to Mrsordonez in MO to continue this ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by mrsordonez at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, August 8, 2010
Arrived earlier this week. Just finished my prior read so this is next up on my list! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 26 by mrsordonez at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, November 19, 2010
Sending this out tomorrow morning. Sorry I'm so awful!

Journal Entry 27 by Gillianne at Denver, Colorado USA on Sunday, November 28, 2010
This showed up seemingly randomly in my mailbox last week...I had completely forgotten I was in the Bookray! LOL! Will read as soon as possible!