The New Life

by Orhan Pamuk | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by alais of Campbell, California USA on 6/26/2008
Journal Entry 1 by alais from Campbell, California USA on Thursday, June 26, 2008
In his native Turkey, author Orhan Pamuk's novel The New Life is a huge hit. Now English-language readers have an opportunity to sample this unusual book for themselves. The New Life begins with the sentence "I read a book one day and my whole life was changed." That book leads the narrator, a young man named Osman, on a wild journey in the company of Janan, a mysterious young woman in search of her lover, Mehmet. He had actually managed to enter--and escape--the world of the book. In the course of their travels, Osman and Janan are involved in a bloody bus wreck from which they emerge with new identities; they meet several "false" Mehmets; Janan mysteriously vanishes; and Osman eventually encounters a family friend who may or may not be the author of the life-changing book and possibly of The New Life itself.

Journal Entry 2 by alais at Common Grounds coffee shop in Carbondale, Illinois USA on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 13 yrs ago (2/16/2009 UTC) at Common Grounds coffee shop in Carbondale, Illinois USA

Left at the Common Grounds Bookshelf by the couches.

Journal Entry 3 by btvs1973 from Carbondale, Illinois USA on Monday, March 2, 2009

The book is in really great shape and I actually need it for a class, but I probably would have read it anyway.