A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

by James Joyce | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing of Bellingham, Washington USA on 2/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Monday, February 11, 2008
Another book that I had to read in high school and did not appreciate, (not this exact volume). I am sure that I would appreciate it more if I were to read it as an adult.

This book was first published in 1916. It is considered a modern classic. It is about growing up Irish Catholic at the turn of the last century, written in a way that has been described as startling, proufound and beautiful.

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 14, 2008
Thank you tabby-cat-owner!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Monday, February 8, 2010
This book has been mailed to TracyW of London, England, UK.

I hope you enjoy this book, TracyW.

Journal Entry 4 by TracyW on Friday, February 19, 2010
Arrived in the mail today - looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by TracyW on Thursday, March 25, 2010
I enjoyed this one far more than I was expecting. The language is beautiful, and James Joyce well presents the growing complexity of his hero's (or his own) mind. The later parts, when Stephen is a university student and is talking with his friend Lynch, reminded me of Dostoyevsky's similarly philosophical speeches (although of course Dostoyevsky's are more religious in nature).
The intensity of the description of hell, as in one of the priests' speech, is one of the most vivid sections of the book, I have not come across a horror novel with such a horrid scene depicted. You can see its intensity and its' effect on Stephen, and then the seriousness of his religiousness. And then Joyce labels on this the complexity of Stephen's deciding not to enter the priesthood.
Returning to Stephen's younger years, Joyce does striking things, not the horrors of Dahl's or McCourt's accounts of life, instead Stephen goes to complain to the head of his school about mistreatment and the head takes him seriously.
Then there are all the hinted at layers beyond the main story, his father and his father's loss of money, the relationship between his parents, what his children make of their lives. Absorbing, and at times funny, for example the Christmas conversation that all falls apart in a fight over the roles of the priests in politics. This was great.

Journal Entry 6 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 25, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing TracyW:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 7 by TracyW at The Charles Holden in Merton, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (6/2/2015 UTC) at The Charles Holden in Merton, Greater London United Kingdom

Moving house need more space