Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris

by Sarah Turnbull | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by debnance of Alvin, Texas USA on 12/31/2007
Journal Entry 1 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Monday, December 31, 2007

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, when you join please indicate that you were referred by debnance. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!

Journal Entry 2 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010
Sarah Turnbull impulsively decided to follow a man home to Paris, but the trip was supposed to be for a week, not a lifetime. Instead, Turnbull married the man and made Paris her home.

French things I learned from this book: Lots of French words; waiters and those working in stores can appear rude to the non-Frenchperson; making new friends is a slow process; homeless people are accepted as a part of life; work strikes are frequent.

Journal Entry 3 by debnance at United States Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA on Saturday, September 4, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (9/4/2010 UTC) at United States Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA

Off to a new reader!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Sunday, October 31, 2010
This book arrived home in my travel narrative bookbox. I'm pretty sure I have a copy in my TBR pile so will most likely put this one my next travel narrative bookbox.

Released 11 yrs ago (11/20/2010 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Went out in my lastest travel narrative bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, December 4, 2010
Selected from thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative Bookbox, thanks for including it-can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookstogivewing at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 22, 2016

Released 6 yrs ago (1/22/2016 UTC) at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sharing my ABC books with other Bookcrossers so that they may travel onward, Happy Journey!

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 8 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, February 18, 2016
This book (& a bunch of his friends!) arrived in Florida yesterday. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 9 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, February 18, 2016
Looks like I already have a copy of this, so I'll just reserve this one for a book ring.

Journal Entry 10 by wingiwillrejoicewing at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 7, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (7/7/2016 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Released to tabby-cat-owner in Arizona for her selection from booklady331's ABC VBB. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 11 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Friday, July 22, 2016
I received this book in the mail from Iwillrejoice of Fort Myers, Florida. I selected it from the ABC VBB organized by booklady331.

Thank you very much, I will rejoice, for donating this book to the VBB and for sending it to me. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by tabby-cat-owner at Bellingham, Washington USA on Thursday, May 20, 2021
This book has been donated to the nonfiction vbb organized by booklady331. I have been reading this book and I find it very interesting. I have almost finished reading it.

Journal Entry 13 by tabby-cat-owner at Bellingham, Washington USA on Saturday, June 19, 2021
I enjoyed reading this book. This book proves true all the negative generalizations that I have heard over the years about France. They are rude and they could care less about visitors to their country and even about a young woman who has come to live in their country. The analysis that the author applies to France and its citizens was extremely interesting to me. The author does not have a negative attitude, but she is honest and explains to the reader reasons for such inexplicable behavior. There is a lot of emphasis in France, and particularly in Paris, on style and looks. Sadly, the women in France are extremely competitive with each other in regards to looks, Furthermore, the emphasis in on sexual attractiveness which is unfortunate. There appears to be no value on friendliness in France, but more value is placed on putting people down and being cold and unfriendly to customers, strangers, and really, people in general. (I am summarizing the author here.) The author's partner who she marries by the end of book (six years later) is a gem of a man. He is very supportive and encouraging to the author. The French people place an obsessive extreme importance on food. I learned a lot, and I am still not going to become much of a meat-eater. French cuisine requires elegant settings, and much time and attention is spent on preparation and the consumption of food. I am tired thinking about it. The author is a positive person, and I have learned a lot about the typical French personality. More than twenty years have passed since the author wrote this book. It is possible that things have changed in France since then. After all, the world is becoming a global village. I also noticed the author's minimal comments on socialism. Finally, I discovered on the internet that the author and her French husband lived only a few more years in France. He was offered a job in French Tahiti, and they ended up living there before moving to Sydney, Australia. The author wrote another book about life in Tahiti, her struggles with infertility, and the birth of their son. (happy ending)

Journal Entry 14 by tabby-cat-owner at Bellingham, Washington USA on Saturday, April 2, 2022
This book has been removed from the nonfiction vbb and made available.

This book was left in the Little Free Library. It was released for the Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge. (The book has a subtitle.)