Darwin's Radio

by Greg Bear | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by PDB11 of Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on 12/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2007
I enjoyed this book. Eventually.

The book is far too long. It took me about two weeks to read the first half, but less than a further half week to finish the book. During the first half, I found it difficult to stick at it for more than a couple of pages at a time.

The idea of the story - that evolutionary experiments and some information about their results are stored in the genome, against such time as they are needed - is a clever one, and (although it must be admitted that I'm an engineer, not a biologist) I couldn't fault the science. Some parts of the process, though, seemed unnecessary, and weren't properly explained. And, although the second half of the book was pretty gripping, I found the ending weak. Bear was presumably trying for something open-ended - we made it through this, but what next? - but it didn't really work for me.

And it didn't help that the one character who was like me (and made many of the same mistakes I would have) I didn't like at all!

For release.

Edit: Next book: Darwin's Children, in my review of which I finally work out what's wrong with the science in this one.

Journal Entry 2 by PDB11 at Ham Wall Nature Reserve, Meare in Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (12/29/2007 UTC) at Ham Wall Nature Reserve, Meare in Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom

On the sign by the entrance from Station Road, on the Ashcott side of the river.

Journal Entry 3 by Wyke-of from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, May 15, 2008
Found the book at the entrance to Ham Wall Nature Reserve whilst on a birdwatching trip on April 27th 2008.

I found the book hard going and it has taken a long time to finish.

I shall pass the book on to my daughter who has an interest in genetics having covered the subject at university. I shall ask her to then release the book.