Summer Sisters

by Judy Blume | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by pgsahm of Disputanta, Virginia USA on 3/6/2003
Journal Entry 1 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 6, 2003
Found this copy at the thrift store today! I purchased it to release or start a bookray since I've read it before.

Funny little story that goes along with my reading this book. In April 2001 I found out I was pregnant with my second child. About a month into the pregnancy I had some complications and the doctor said that the outcome did not look good and I would more than likely miscarry. But he put me on bed rest just in case.

I just happened to have Summer Sisters waiting in my to be read from the library pile. I read this book in one day, it was that quick and fun and easy. It brightened up my day as I was confined to bed. It's a great book about 2 girl friends and their adventures through adolescence.

Not only did the book get me through a very hard time, but I went on to have a healthy 9 pound, 7 ounce, 22 inch long baby about 9 months later! Bed rest and Judy Blume go hand in hand!

Journal Entry 2 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 30, 2003
What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

txcajun (Texas)
Gyd (Spain)
nikel27 (Germany)
pikapolonica (Sweden)
Hawkette (Australia)
booknhand (California)(currently has ownership)

kbgoffe (Oregon)
ladyofunicorns (New Mexico)

Journal Entry 3 by pgsahm at on Thursday, April 17, 2003
Released on Thursday, April 17, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Let the bookray begin! On it's way to txcajun!

Journal Entry 4 by txcajun from Carrollton, Texas USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2003
Received in the mail as part of a bookray. Will place next in my to be read stack and then pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 5 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Monday, June 23, 2003
It's just arrived, safe & sound, to Barcelona (and arrived at the perfect time since I finished a book yesterday :0)). Thanks Pgsahm and Txcajun!

Journal Entry 6 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, July 1, 2003
Very, very nice reading!! I don't really like how it ends, but I can't do any more comments without spoiling the plot, so I'll shut up ;o)
The Summer Sisters will keep on moving, next stop: Ginsheim in Germany. Enjoy Nikel27!

Journal Entry 7 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Thursday, July 10, 2003
the book arrived yesterday, have to put it first on my tbr-pile, but I think I can start reading next week.

update 08/06/2003:

Very Good read, even if you are sometimes a but surprised how the story goes on......

Release planned for Friday, August 08, 2003 at Postal System in Ginsheim, Hessen Germany.

goes out to the next member of this Ray ==> pikapolonica

Journal Entry 9 by pikapolonica on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
The book has arrived to Stockholm, thank you, nikel27. It was good timing, too, as I just finished another bookray book. :) I'll start reading it right away.

Update (18th Aug): nice reading. It's a story of the two friends that become summer sisters during their common holidays on the Martha's Vineyard island. We see them grow up in two completely different fashions and yet they are all the time linked to each other and to a group of their childhood island friends. I agree with Gyd that the ending is not really what one would expect and unfortunately doesn't make much sense either, but the book is extremelly readable up to the final chapter.

The book will be on its way to Australia sometime this week.

Journal Entry 10 by wingHawkettewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 27, 2003
This book has arrived with me! Looking forward to it, as I have fond memories of Judy Blume books as a teen.

Journal Entry 11 by wingHawkettewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 5, 2003
Very easy and fast read - Blume draws you into her characters well. I also liked the little thoughts and perspectives from the periphiral characters. I also didn't like the end very much, not quite what I thought it was building up to. Makes you think about the tight bonds of friendships, and those bonds that are so strong you will stick by each other no matter what, whether it makes sense or not.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHawkettewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 8, 2003
Have sent back to the States today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by booknhand from San Jose, California USA on Saturday, October 18, 2003
I received this bookray book in the mail yesterday. However, my school load, my TBR pile and the series I am currently reading will delay the reading of this book for a while. So not to hold up the book and delay others in reading it, I will be contacting next person on list and passing it on without reading it. Maybe when things lighten up again, I will add back on to the bottom of the bookray list. Until then, I send this book on to happier travels!

UPDATE: I am the last person on the bookray list, but it skipped a couple of people (because of non-reply) between Hakette and myself. I will contact them and try to get the book to one of those people, otherwise is will go in my TBR pile until I have time to read it or someone else wants it.